Author Topic: 1911 ISPT tool  (Read 8015 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 ISPT tool
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
I put the merest scratch on my new Remington R1 when I last installed the slide stop. It's barely visible with the pin installed, but I was really annoyed with myself for doing it.

I have the classic "idiot scratch"/"new guy to 1911s scratch"/"human-induced-semi-circular-slide stop-on-frame-contact-artifact" on my Series '70 Gold Cup from way back. It was my first 1911 and I was used to my 9mm Hi-Powers, with which I never had the problem.

Cruising the 1911 forums, I see that it is still an issue for many 1911 owners. Someone is marketing a plastic gadget called the "Idiot Scratch Protection Tool" or ISPT. Check out ISPT.com for details.
Other methods are to use a piece of masking tape or business card, but I caught a bit of material under the slide stop doing that.

It took me ten minutes to cut out a couple of ISPTs from a plastic coffee can lid - one for my stock R1 and another for my Gold Cup with large mag release button.

I think that the real idiot would be the guy who would buy the ISPT and pay S&H costs for a piece of plastic.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: 1911 ISPT tool
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »

It took me ten minutes to cut out a couple of ISPTs from a plastic coffee can lid - one for my stock R1 and another for my Gold Cup with large mag release button.

A photo or diagram would sure be nice.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
Or a link fer us real idiots out here!

And talking about idiots, Bass Pro had a Browning 1911-22 in stock the other day for around $560.  If I had not been from out of state, and Christmas broke, it sure would be going back home with me!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:02 AM »

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
Thanks, Goody!

We can cut out these goodies from a variety of materials and colours as gifts. Keep one on your key chain and have fun explaining it's function to anti-gunners.

One of the 1911 forums had good pics of a mod you can do to your slide stop, obviating the need for an ISPT at all. All you need is a needle file and/or a steady hand with a Dremel tool.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
Alternatively, you could just learn to do it correctly and not get in a hurry...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
Milk jugs work very well.

That little device (slide stop release) was made to rotate in because of the plunger and the SSR shape. I can be very careful and not scratch but if it is not my pistol, then the milk jug strips are retrieved.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
St. George

Don't like the idea of the ISPT? - don't buy or make one.

My experience with 1911s is limited to just three pistols, now down to two. The latest, a Remington R1 is just plain ornery when it comes to installing the slide stop.
Risking the marring of an expensive gun is like using ill-fitting screwdrivers, buggering up screw slots. I like the ISPT - an ingenious solution to a real problem.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
Slide stop on my Ruger goes in great, not so with my '77 Nickle plated Colt.  :P WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
Just wait til you put a divot in the ceiling when you let the recoil plug go by accident!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
Deacon

Better a ceiling divot than your eye!

My Gold Cup is fitted with a recoil spring guide and I let the recoil spring plug take off .... good thing I had a spare. Took me several months to find it in a remote corner of my shop.

Does there exist a gun owner who has not lost a part under spring tension at one time or another? I now refuse to dismount anything in an environment where if I lose a part, it's all but impossible to find. I've literally combed through a carpet with a magnet more than once, and been on my hands and knees with a flash light looking for a widget of some kind.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:41:34 PM »
PJ, I know what you mean! I bought a big magnet several years ago at Ace Hardware just to find those little bits that wind up under the bench in the mung and dead spiders.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com