Author Topic: Cimarron or Taylor's SAA for best quality and value?  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Cimarron or Taylor's SAA for best quality and value?
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:23:08 AM »
Which importer do you prefer, Cimarron or Taylors when it comes to their basic model P SAA and why?

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Cimarron or Taylor's SAA for best quality and value?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »
Which importer do you prefer, Cimarron or Taylors when it comes to their basic model P SAA and why?

Neither.  I prefer the Pietta's that EMF has.  That being said, I own two SAA Uberti's that are fantastic performers.  Cimarron holds Uberti to high standards as does Taylor's.  So either vender will sell you a well made firearm.  The choice of which is less exspensive and within your budget will do more to sway your choice.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »

Regardless of importer, you get a Uberti.  Other than the patent markings and roll stamps, same guns.  Both will respond well to a complete action job or just a set of springs.
I do agree however, better value for dollar are the guns built by Pietta.  Give 'em a look, from EMF and others.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:37:24 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
I bought a Cimarron  this Fall and it is a Pietta. Out of the box it has a better action than Ubeti. The only flaw I've found is that the grove on the cylinder pin, where the cross bolt type pin release sets, is only a slot instead of going all the way around. It takes just a bit more effort to line everything up when putting the pin back in.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
Shotgun,

You cut that two slot pin down yet??  It's about the only real improvement a Pietta needs.  Other work is "cake."

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:23:34 AM »

PS:  I forgot Cimarron and Taylor's were importing Pietta reproductions of the SAA.  OOPS.

Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
One of the reasons I don't want Pietta is they do not have the patent dates on the frame so that is why I am asking about the Uberti offerings from Cimarron and Taylors.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
Cimarron does sell both Uberti and Pietta SAA's and I have handled quite a few of each.  If authenticity is important to you then Uberti all the way, for a number of small and large differences I won't go into.  If authenticity is not and you just want something for either competition or general shooting, then either is a nice six shooter.  Pietta generally feels much smoother out of the box.  Lighter springs for sure.  Feels like more polish inside as well.  Pietta has squared front and rear sights versus tapered front and v-notch rear of the standard Uberti Model P.  There are other Model P's like the Evil Roys and stainless guns that do have squared sights.  Uberti has the polyurethane finish on the grips.  I've seen the Pietta the same way but I think oiled grip is the standard now.  The Uberti's could use lighter springs, and for some folks that is all they need.  Both brands tend to be timed pretty well out of the box.  I think both brands can hold up well for CAS use.  Serious competitors would want to get an action job with either, though the Pietta might need less work.   I like the Ubertis better for the authentiic issues. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »
Abilene:  I agree that the Uberti looks more historically correct.  I am sure Pietta is a good gun too, but it is somewhat less authentic and the lack of patent dates screams it to me.  I too don't like the polyurethane or heavy varnish on the grips and it is sad that the Italians hide such nice wood under all that stain and heavy non authentic finish.  I strip it off and put a period correct boiled linseed oil finish on the grips and touch them up once a year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com