Author Topic: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic Rifle: 45-70 Government  (Read 7577 times)

Offline sharpie443

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic Rifle: 45-70 Government
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
I finally got my hands on one of these. I say finally because it took four weeks to get it after I laid down the money for it. I had my friend Chris order it threw his gun shop and the suppler lost my order, then lost the check and canceled the order. So what should have been delivered in 4-5 days took a month BUT they were nice enough to knock off a good bit of money for the trouble. So it all worked out.

So I took it out this week and was very impressed with it. It shot high right out of the box but I'm getting it sighted in. I got it close as you can see in the video but I need to load up some more rounds and take it out again. I plan on putting some ladder sights on it like the sharps rifles soon and seeing how far I can take it out. I have 350 yards to work with at my range.

These are the sights i want to get for it.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/2/RS-CREED-5-WE

My goal is to get it set up for shooting Black powder loads at long range but for now I'm going to stick with trail boss and see what i can do.

Video of my new rifle.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_7WftlMgY[/youtube]

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic Rifle: 45-70 Government
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:35:36 AM »
very cool I have one I am very happy with. pretty much POA at just under 100yd using 405gr over 3031

I would be interested on how you attach the sight....I would like to change mine out except it does seem to work well with what I am using it for.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
I am assuming that you are not talking about tang mounted sights. I don't have one in front of me, but just going from memory, that gun doesn't have a steel tang. The stock butts flat up against the receiver . If my memory serves me that means that there is no place to properly mount a tang sight. You would have to find something along the lines of what the Springfield trapdoors use. This one here: http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46   is what I plan on putting on my '92, but you might be able to use it on the H&R. if the dovetails will either match or could be made to match.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:39 AM »

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
There is no dovetail for the rear sight. This one has good reviews & I've got one on back order. They tel me it should ship around the first of January.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164015&CAT=4077

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
That's not the link I meant to post, but it is the same sight. I ordered mine from Brownells.

Offline sharpie443

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
I am assuming that you are not talking about tang mounted sights. I don't have one in front of me, but just going from memory, that gun doesn't have a steel tang. The stock butts flat up against the receiver . If my memory serves me that means that there is no place to properly mount a tang sight. You would have to find something along the lines of what the Springfield trapdoors use. This one here: http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46   is what I plan on putting on my '92, but you might be able to use it on the H&R. if the dovetails will either match or could be made to match.

I'm actually going to go about it a different way. I'm going to drill and tap two brass plugs and set them into the stock. That will give me a place to mount the tang sights to. I've seen one other shooter do this and he has had good results. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work so that's my plan.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »
Those will work well. You can use a slow cure epoxy to fix those brass plugs in place, the slow cure gives the epoxy time to soak into the wood and provide a stronger bond. Worked well on mine. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Peddler Parsons

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
Sharpie 443
 Make sure you keep the plugs to the front end of the stock, do not get behind the bolt in the stock when you drill and insert the back plug, if it is to long it will not let the washer rest aginst the coller in the the stock and therefore the bolt will not tighten the stock up with the metal, I know this first hand, I drilled it 3/8" to far back and got into the bolt head hole of the stock.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:07 AM »
I'm actually going to go about it a different way. I'm going to drill and tap two brass plugs and set them into the stock. That will give me a place to mount the tang sights to. I've seen one other shooter do this and he has had good results. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work so that's my plan.

Years ago I was building Bow, there were threaded brass bushings that were all ready drilled and tapped for screws I used to mount bow quivers.  Might be an easier task than making a plug at drilling and tapping.  Also being threaded on the outside they seated really snuggly in the wood.  I used them with wood as soft as ceder and as rock hard as maple.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com