Author Topic: Rossi rifle choice  (Read 16003 times)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Rossi rifle choice
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
I appreciate all of the replies, the rossi site lists the 16" barrel as 8+1 capacity, that's why I asked about 357 vs 38, didn't know if 8 357 fit if it would hold 9 38s and then you could top it off to 10 rounds with one in the chamber at the start of a stage, or just load one more on the clock, like has been said, Im in this for the fun of it not winning championships

EVERYONE says that, but after a few matches people still don't mind not winning but they at least want to give it their best effort.  Again, just a word of advice skip the 16" rifles if you are a new shooter or you will be buying another rifle after a few matches.

Offline Snakebite

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »
I appreciate all of the replies, the rossi site lists the 16" barrel as 8+1 capacity, that's why I asked about 357 vs 38, didn't know if 8 357 fit if it would hold 9 38s and then you could top it off to 10 rounds with one in the chamber at the start of a stage, or just load one more on the clock, like has been said, Im in this for the fun of it not winning championships

You CANT start with one in the chamber. None of your guns can have a live round under the hammer for pistols and none in the chamber for any rifle. Until you are on the firing line and the RO tells you to start. Then you are on the clock

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »

Don't waste your money on any rifle or carbine that will not hold 10 rds in the tubular magazine. In SASS matches, rifles start with an empty chamber and loading off your person 1 or more rds will just cost you time, even more if you fumble under pressure!
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:15:02 PM »

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
Ok, so I put money down on a 20" octagonal barrel 357/38 at the LGS today, now an ammo question, occasionally Id like to get historically  accurate ammo for my pistols and rifle, will the rossi's cycle 38 colts,  short or long? I have a 45 that I can shoot colts and schofields out of, a 44 that can take magnums, specials, colts and russians, and with my 357 mags I know I can do 38 specials,  long colts and short colts, just not sure if the rifle can cycle it

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »
The '92s are generally not tolerant of changes in OAL and will probably require some patience in finding the OAL that your particular rifle will cycle reliably.  It's likely that the faster you operate the gun the less tolerance in OAL it will have.  Steve Gaines usually suggests starting with a taper crimp rather than rolled too.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »
Ok, so I put money down on a 20" octagonal barrel 357/38 at the LGS today, now an ammo question, occasionally Id like to get historically  accurate ammo for my pistols and rifle, will the rossi's cycle 38 colts,  short or long? I have a 45 that I can shoot colts and schofields out of, a 44 that can take magnums, specials, colts and russians, and with my 357 mags I know I can do 38 specials,  long colts and short colts, just not sure if the rifle can cycle it
As has been posted by others, the M1892 is a bit sensitive to OAL of the cartridge. You may be able to get .38 Specials to work with a long enough bullet. If the OAL is too short, it is likely the lifter will at least stovepipe the round or kick it clear of the action! I serious doubt that a .38 Long Colt will work except when fed as a single shot.

As far as being "historically accurate" is concerned, you are not going to be anywhere close to that with a .38 Spl./.357 Magnum chambering. The M1892 was basically available in .44-40, .38-40 (actually a .40 caliber based on the .44-40 case), .32-20 and .25-20 with some later variants (M53 and M65) in .218 Bee.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
Part of the "pickyness" That Camile pointed out is in the internal workings of the Rossi '92. The carrier may need to be gone over if you want to shoot strictly .38 Special. It will shoot either, but if you want it to work reliably in match situations you should redall optimise it for that cartridge length. Do a search on this forum and/or the "Gunsmithing forum for more information on how to go about doing this.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
A 92 can be really slick and really fast.Miss Cammie is right they are very particular about cartridge length. However once ya git the right length, do an action job and take the sharp edge off of the back of the chamber they will run very well. In fact they run better if ya do RUN them than if yer slow and careful. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »
Paul

There's one sure way to find out - try it!

Some .357 mag carbines eat .38 Spl. just fine, as do .44 mags eat .44 Spl. My wife's Marlin carbine and my B-92s are examples.

As far as "historical accurate" cartridges, if you aren't going to shoot BP, fuggedaboudit! We're all playing wanna-be Cowboy which is a game pretty far removed from any historical accuracy. NCOWS comes the closest, but you can set your own standards in SASS.

Wanna go Cowboy with your pistols, buy a pair of cap & ballers and shoot "Frontiersman". We have a strong cap & ball rivalry going in our club, and it sure isn't for lack of cartridge guns!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
Interesting about the taper vs roll crimp.  I started shooting 245 grain semi wads out of min, will a taper crimp the front rim of the case would scrape on the chamber making the action hard to close.  A roll crimp with the rounded front edge of the case made it feed better. 

This was a stock as a rock 1995 era Rossi so the sharp edge of the chamber may have played a role.  I never relieved it.  As soon as I hear my turn has come up from NKJ the rifle will be mailed out for his magic.  My extractor is sometimes problematic, not sure if it is dirt or wear related Nate will figure it out in about a nano second.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

1961MJS

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
Hi

I noticed the mention of the John Wayne lever loop.  I understand why a guy would want to shoot what the Duke did, but why did the Duke shoot it?  I don't see any way that it would help anything.

???

Later

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 11:15:59 PM »

Hi

I noticed the mention of the John Wayne lever loop.  I understand why a guy would want to shoot what the Duke did, but why did the Duke shoot it?  I don't see any way that it would help anything.

???

Later

To be perfectly honest, it has no practical purpose. It looks really neat on T.V. or in the movies, but it is neither safe or practical to operate the lever in the whirling motion that John Wayne and Chuck Conners popularized, and if you aren’t going to cock the gun in that manner the extra large loop just makes the operation loose and clumsy.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
I will have the opportunity to evaluate the difference in oal sensitivity bullet type etc on a stock 92 I have used for years and one that nate kiowa jones has worked his magic on. Will give an update when the rifle comes home
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline sharps1863

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
You are going to find that Rossi is going to be O.A.L. sensitive like has been stated. I have a Rossi trapper in 45LC and it will not chamber the rounds that I Handload for my Taurus Thunderbolt in 45LC. I had the Taurus before I got the Rossi.So I have to seat the bullet a little deeper for the Rossi to chamber, The Thunderbolt will feed both just fine. Now My Rossi ranch hand in 357/38 will feed what ever I put in it with no problem Factory or My reloads. Go figure ??? But one thing for sure, that Rossi is going to have some rough edges on it, especially around the loading gate, it will slice your finger if you are not careful loading it. Next thing to get with the Rossi if you have any mechanical ability. Get Steve Young's 92 Rossi Video it is well worth the price.
Now a member of the Spencer Shooting Society #430
Shooter of 1-Trapdoor Springfield 1- Maynard Carbine- 1- Brunswick Rifle- 1-.50cal Hawkin- 2 -1858 Remingtons- 1- 1851 Colt Sheriff-1- 2nd model Dragoon- 1 .75cal Brown Bess Carbine-and now 1- Armi Sport 56/50 Spencer
 Maybe I like Black-powder guns too Much

1961MJS

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
You are going to find that Rossi is going to be O.A.L. sensitive like has been stated. I have a Rossi trapper in 45LC and it will not chamber the rounds that I Handload for my Taurus Thunderbolt in 45LC. I had the Taurus before I got the Rossi.So I have to seat the bullet a little deeper for the Rossi to chamber, The Thunderbolt will feed both just fine. Now My Rossi ranch hand in 357/38 will feed what ever I put in it with no problem Factory or My reloads. Go figure ??? But one thing for sure, that Rossi is going to have some rough edges on it, especially around the loading gate, it will slice your finger if you are not careful loading it. Next thing to get with the Rossi if you have any mechanical ability. Get Steve Young's 92 Rossi Video it is well worth the price.

Hi

Did you use the video to clean up the edges etc on your gun?  This is my first Lever action, so I don't know how everything works at this point.  I'm o.k. working with my hands.  How easy is this clean up?  Can I ruin the action if I screw up or am I only de-burring replaceable parts?  I've tured a couple of 1911 Marvel Conversion magazines, and that came out o.k.  I've also done some trigger work on my model 70 Winchester.

thanks

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com