Author Topic: .41 remington magnum round?  (Read 6186 times)

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.41 remington magnum round?
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
Years ago I acquired a Ruger Blackhawk, 4 5/8"bbl, in cal. 41 Magnum.  I actually traded my44 mag for it because I couldn't handle the recoil.  The gun became a favorite, recoil not that bad and deadly accurate.  I'd like to reload some rounds in either a much lighter load or even BP.  Wondering if there either other cartridges that would work, recommendedlight loads, or BP.  Thanks, Bill

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .41 remington magnum round?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
Unlike .357 and .44mag, there is no corresponding "41special" to go with the .41 mag. ..41 Colt isn't even close. I'm sure some of the manuals list some mid range loads for it, especially Lyman for cast bullets. I have used a few BP substitute loads in my .357 Blackhawk, and it started to gum up pretty quickly.

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
Yea!  I was hoping maybe the41 Long Colt might work, but the load data......as you said.........ain't close.  It's a great gun though,second only to my 44 Russian.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:02 PM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »
Hodgdon's online loading data shows some relatively mild loads for 41 Rem Mag.  The "slowest" load  with a 215gr lead bullet is 752fps using Trailboss powder, and a 200gr cast bullet starts at 854fps using Clays.  Compared to some of the 1500 and 1600+fps loads those are pretty light!  As for BP, you can relube some bullets with soft lube and put enough BP in the case to get about 1/8" compression, and see what happens!  Have fun!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
I like my 41 mag, you can easily slow it down with unique or trail boss powders, to the point where it's a low end 38-40.
Get yourself a Lyman 49 manual, or look at some of the online data.
If you had a real pistol smith around close by there is a 41 special cartridge you could have a new cylinder made for.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
Unique, was named so for a reason.
Best all around 'cowboy' powder out there.
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »
I like my 41 mag, you can easily slow it down with unique or trail boss powders, to the point where it's a low end 38-40.
Get yourself a Lyman 49 manual, or look at some of the online data.
If you had a real pistol smith around close by there is a 41 special cartridge you could have a new cylinder made for.

As I undestand it, a .41 Special was a shorter case for a particular caliber conversion where the new cylinder was too short for the .41 Mag.  If you are shooting it in a .41mag Blackhawk there is no need for a shorter case, well maybe if you think there is too much airspace over a modest load.  I think the modest load in the original case is the way to go. 

There is no need for a shorter case just for BP.  the normal case filled with enough FFFg to make a bit of compression with a cast bullet lubed with BP lube should work just fine.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Well that 41 special for shorter guns is pretty much bogus, the 41 isn't any longer than a 45 colt.
Only people that tie their hair up in little pink bows and ribbons want shorter cases for blackpowder :D Real men want longer cases, a 441 supermag would be about right for bp loading.. ;D

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:54 PM »
Yea!  I was hoping maybe the41 Long Colt might work, but the load data......as you said.........ain't close.  It's a great gun though,second only to my 44 Russian.

Not only the load data that's different, but the case dimesions for the LC cartridge is much smaller diameter. Would be about like using .44 Special in a .45.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=3&gs_rn=0&gs_ri=hp&tok=s13ChulpKyhh1qnBqSih7w&cp=7&gs_id=t&xhr=t&q=.41+Special&pf=p&tbo=d&biw=1311&bih=553&sclient=psy-ab&oq=.41+Spe&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=8306cc0be30e730c&bpcl=39650382

Ranch13; That's what I was saying.  For Tenhillybill's original question there is no need for any modifications to the .41 Mag.  

The .41 Special does exist for the purpose of providing more power on a .38 special platform, not that I see much need for it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
No there really isn't any need to have a 41 special, and I do enjoy loading my 41 down, just as I stated in my op on this thread, only I did not go into details on my load as it's not zactly found in load manuals, but it works like a champ. ;)

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »
about 30+years ago maybe 40 years ago Federal put out a Police load for the model 58 Smith and wesson. it was a 180 gr. SWC loaded to about 900-1,000 FPS, it was a very nice load in a model 57 or 58.  about that's when the bigger mags came out for the 9mm's and who wanted 6 shots when 15+ were available.  That was the death of the revolver for police work(except for concealed carry or hidouts) I still load and shoot the model 57's, there isn't a more accurate revolver on the market with a 6 inch barrel. yes, I know .44 special in an "N" frame is very accurate (and yes, I've got a couple of thoses too.) but you just can't beat the .41 in a 6 inch barrel or longer. and yes. the 586, 686's are very accurate nice guns. (and yes, I've got a couple of them too) 4 and 6 in. but you get the loading data for the .41 mag., load it with 180 gr. swc's at around 800-1,000 FPS and you'll be a real happy camper.  use unique, or W 231, or Clays or what have you, you can't go wrong.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
You can always use a wonder wad or filler on top of the BP if you want to reduce the load with BP.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com