Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 05:13:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Scope for 1873 Winchester 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scope for 1873 Winchester  (Read 3396 times)
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« on: November 28, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »

Howdy
I have a Leatherwood Hi Lux 3 power scope , the 17 inch model . Has anyone worked with these ? I mounted it tonight on my short rifle . It looks pretty cool , but untill I shoot it that's about all I know .
w44wcf
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:11:29 am »

Rowdy,

Sounds interesting. Grin  I have no experience, but please keep us informed along with a pic or 2......

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »

Howdy
Hope to play with it Saturday , need a few pictures .
KirkD
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21:14 pm »

That sounds real nice. I was looking at them on the website.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »

Howdy
Got a chance to shoot my rifle with the scope . I shoot at 25 yards at first to see if it would hit the target . My first shot was about a11/2 right of the bulls eye . Made an adjustment to the scope and was now shooting in the center . Backed up to 50 yards and was still in the center . The first outing with the scope was good . Hope to shoot again tomorrow , plan on shooting out to 100 yards . If that works out good . Then plan on breaking out my Vintage Hunting loads to test from the bench . IF it isn't RAINING .
KirkD
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:51:23 pm »

Excellent! Keep us posted. Wouldn't mind seeing a photo or two of your scope mounted on your '73. The Leatherwood website only had one photo, unless I missed seeing more someplace. I've always thought those vintage type scopes look good on an vintage type rifle.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:27 pm »

Kirk
Will post pictures in a few days . the rifle I put the scope on is my short rifle , really looks good . Didn't get a chance to shoot today .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:14 am »

Howdy
A scoped out 73 in the almighty 44wcf . Could this be the Ultimate coyote rifle using the Vintage Hunting ammo ?  Grin Grin Grin
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:58:18 pm »

Howdy
I have a Leatherwood Hi Lux 3 power scope , the 17 inch model . Has anyone worked with these ? I mounted it tonight on my short rifle . It looks pretty cool , but untill I shoot it that's about all I know .

I put one of the Leatherwood Hi Lux scope on my 44WCF.  Had a tuff time adjusting to the off center shooting position.  Looked pretty cool.....

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:55 pm »

Grizzly Adams
Thanks for posting the pictures . Yep that's what mine looks like .  Grin Grin Grin Have you shot much with the scope on .
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 01:16:11 am »

Grizzly Adams
Thanks for posting the pictures . Yep that's what mine looks like .  Grin Grin Grin Have you shot much with the scope on .

I shot it a few times for long range.  Worked fine, but I had a heck of a time adjusting to the off side shooting position it requires.  Ended up taking it off.......now sitting forlorn in my gun box. Undecided

FWIW, I have a friend who is a south paw.  The thought it was great! Smiley

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »

Grizzly
I originally had the scope on my 76 when it had a 28 inch barrel . It was to heavy to deal with . The short rifle 73 is doable . I am saving this set up for testing ammo . On a sandbag with a scope that should tell what is the most accurate . I am set up to test the olde Enysford , when ever they get it made Huh Wonder if it will give the performance we are expecting . Time will tell the truth .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:21:29 am »

Howdy
Plan on testing NEW powder next week . If this works , it will be the powder choice of the Vintage Hunting Ammo . The Vintage Hunting Association has the Highest of standards for there ammo .
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 02:12:18 pm »

Grizzly.
Why dont you which the mounts over so they hang the scope over the other sideof the gun.

Buffalochip
Grizzly Adams
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 03:23:40 pm »

Grizzly.
Why dont you which the mounts over so they hang the scope over the other sideof the gun.

I wish!  The design of the rear mount does not allow for that option....without some modifications, which I am not sure would pay off.

GAF
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Scope for 1873 Winchester « previous next »
Jump to: