Author Topic: Acquiring a Spencer carbine in 45LC (WTB)  (Read 4424 times)

Offline 45Russian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Acquiring a Spencer carbine in 45LC (WTB)
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but figured this is the best place to ask for some advice.

I have been hunting to a Spencer replica in 45 Colt for over 6 months now, and these just seem to be impossible to find. Can anybody offer any wisdom on how to go about acquiring once of these rifles? I already periodically look at gunbroker and gunsamerica but no luck so far.

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Acquiring a Spencer carbine in 45LC (WTB)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
Last I checked Taylor's had them listed on their site.  It will cost you though.

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
I jsut brought two of them in .45 schoefield(I hope that's what i get, I think!) im not sure if they are uberti's or pedersoli's I already load for .45 LC and I have several molds for .varous .45 bullets 200gr SWC, 230 "hard" ball, 260 fnfp??? and a 300gr. gas check.  I have all kinds of powders unique, trail boss W231, clays. 4198(used in my 32-20 for the rifle.) we'll see how this all comes out.
Pat

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Eggman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Iredell Blues win N-SSA gold - me in the middle
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »
I see pakm discussing using smokeless powders in a soon to be acquired Spencer. How many of you guys are using it now? ??? Are the new repros set up for smokeless? ??? I have an original and would NEVER use smokeless powder in it.  :-\

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure the modern replicas are built by Armi- sport.  As to smokless powder, there are quite a few threads w/ some data for smokless loads.  As I understand, the modern steel allows for light smokless loads

Offline Sgt. John McAfferty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
Smokeless powder may be safely shot in the new Spencer reproductions.  If you have an original (which I don't) I would not shoot smokeless because the steel was not constructed to be strong enough for that.  I know a couple that do, but only very light loads for cowboy action.  IMHO, I still think I would stick to BP.  Why take the chance?

Sgt. John

Offline Eggman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
Anyway black powder smells better and it doesn't give you warts. ;D

Offline 5judge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
I know what's said, but I'd think and then think again about using most any kind of smokeless powder in a Spencer. Quality of the steel aside, it's an almost laughably weak action. And why do it? Black powder is part of the lore and lure of Spencers. If you want to go smokeless, shoot an M1 carbine, the Spencer of the 20th Century.

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
well, I got my spencer and it is an Armi sport and I only got one of them.  I also brought several boxes of .45 schofield ammo for it.  I reload for .45 LC and the schofield uses the same dies you just have to adjust them different for the two calibers. I'm using trail boss and my first reloads didn't work for S***.  but the little rifle is a trip. It shoots to point of aim. at 25 yards. (I can't see the target pass 25 yards.)(I was shooting black hills ammo.) I pour .45 bullet from 200gr to a 300 gr. gas check. for many different rifle and pistols. lever action, single action, double action and pump action. ok, I do the same thing in .44-40 and 38-40. I've read on this forum about the troubles people have had with the armi sport spencers and I was half afraid Of what I was getting into. I had "0" problems with the rifle. it feed 7(only 7) rounds in the butt stock and they feed into the chamber with no problems but like someone said, work the lever like you mean it.  the fired case came out like it had an extracter. I am very happy with the rifle. and yes. the sights could use some work.  I'd take another one in a minute.  A repalica, not an orginal. but I did meet a man locally who has an orginal converted to centerfire. we'll check out our rifles in a couple of days. (I haven't seen his rifle yet.) and black powder???? have any of you  tried to buy any kind of powder lately. much less black powder. I'll stay with trail Boss untill I"m told different.
Pat

Offline Sgt. John McAfferty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
I have a friend who shoots A Spencer in .45 Schofield with Trail Boss powder.  He's been shooting it for 3 or 4 years and never had a problem. I don't know how much powder he's dropping in because I choot BP only.  I'll ask him and PM you here.  We both shoot Spencers at SASS matches because we look cool doing it and it irritates some of the speed demons who think a 2 minute stage is way too long. 

Offline Eggman

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
I'll add on the black powder issue it's available at Track of the Wolf any time but you must order in 25 lb increments.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
I know what's said, but I'd think and then think again about using most any kind of smokeless powder in a Spencer. Quality of the steel aside, it's an almost laughably weak action. And why do it? Black powder is part of the lore and lure of Spencers. If you want to go smokeless, shoot an M1 carbine, the Spencer of the 20th Century.

I don't question the low strength of the steel/wrought irons used in CW-era guns, including the Spencer. But I do question the statement that the Spencer action is "laughably weak". The locking surfaces are very similar to several falling blocks. More than sufficient for the backthrust of a .56-56 cartridge, with or without black powder. With the smaller diameter cartridges, there is less force on the locking surfaces for a given pressure. I've used smokeless powders equivalent to .45 LC loads in an original Spencer, with no problems. (Yes, I pretty much have quit shooting that piece at all, out of respect to its great age.) I certainly would have no qualms about shooting smokeless loads in any modern-made Spencer, even in the .56-50 chamberings.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
well, I got my spencer and I love it. My friend came over today and brought his 1865 with him. he had a new barrel put on it and the action  worked on. it looks almost like a new one. It's got good wood(I think the stock and forearm are new) but it looks good. and he's got a bunch of 56-50 for it.(it was quite expensive.) I'm looking for a mold for the .511? bullet and starlines brass is the cheapest I've seen. (250 cases at a time)  I've two Taylers coming(I hope) in 56-50 Friday or maybe monday. we'll see what happens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com