Author Topic: Comfortable Boots For CAS  (Read 8905 times)

Offline dart368

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Comfortable Boots For CAS
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »
I am new and have only gone to 2 matches so far.  I had a pair of boots with a round toe but they fell apart on me so I am looking to get another pair.  Of course, this pair, I want to be a little more durable than the $15 one's I got at the thrift store.

I read somewhere that these were the boots to get:

http://www.fortwestern.com/fort-frontier-shooter-boots/

What do you guys think and/or wear?  Thanks.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Comfortable Boots For CAS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:04:36 AM »
Highly recommended around here.  Will be ordering a pair Veeeeeeeeeeery soon myself.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:25:52 AM »
Hi,

I wear them for both reenacting and SASS ...  I tucked the mule ears in for the Confederate Uniform ...

The big question I would like to know is whether the soles (molded on) can be replaced locally .... but I haven't needed to, so I will cross that bridge when it comes ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:36:44 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
I've been wearing the same pair for six years now. I put in a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts, use quality socks and can stand in em' all day long. I also tuck in the Mules Ears.

By the way Wadd, that's a great picture of you.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
Johnny McCrae,

Thanks for the complements on the pic ... they say the best ones are unstructured ... I think I was talking to someone ... I stand amazed that she was able to take it with my mouth closed ... she took this one too, but it shows even less of the boots:

FWIW, I wear an 11 1/2 boot and was given size 12s ... I put in a Dr. Scholls 'Gellin' sole in it and it fits just right!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
They are great boots. I highly recommended them. 
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »
WWE

Nice carbine! Maynard? You'd be just as correct armed with my Gallagher, sleeved to .50 calibre. There's something about archaic designs, isn't there?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
PJ Hardtack,

Good Eyes! It is a Larry Romano Model 1 Mayard... the 2nd Fla were issued them as 'sniper' rifles in the .35 cal. I did not know that when I ordered them so mine is a .50 (actually .514).

I have been slowly gathering reloading supplies for the Maynard .... first, it uses an external cap to act as a primer ... the explosion of the fulmonate of mercury goes down a small tube, through a hole in the back of the casing (where a modern day primer would go, and explodes the gunpowder) ... pic included:

And here is a short history of the Maynard;

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/civil-war/Maynard-gun.pdf

NCOWS #3403

Offline dart368

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:37:31 PM »
thanks for the advice.  Are they sized correctly?  If i wear a 9.5, should I order a 9.5?

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
All I can say is I wear between an 8.5 and 9 and I bought the 9. They fit me perfectly and are really comfortable. I never had to break them in. I was lucky that they seemed to be broke in from the first time I wore them.

I have the black Nebraska mule eared pair, but I am thinking of getting a pair of the Rock Creek boots in brown. Just to make sure I have one of each color. If they fit me anything like the Nebraska pair I have I will be very happy.

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »
Anybody know the weight of one boot?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »
'Bout 13 pounds.   ;D

Actually, they aren't that heavy.  I wore mine for a couple of years for every day around-town boots and they were fine.  

Biggest problem I had were finding britches with legs big enough to wear on the outside.

I had the spur shelf ground off of mine within a few days of getting them.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
WWE

Back to your Maynard carbine briefly ....

Get a copy of Peter Schiffer's book on Civil War carbines. He tested 12 original ACW carbines with ammo as near original as he could make it, no expense spared. He had bullet moulds made, cases made (including RF ignited by small RF blanks) and used original lube formulae where they could be researched.
He tested them for accuracy, function and reliability, shooting them at 55/110/220 metres (he's German) and assigning a rating of "acceptance" as if he was an evaluating Officer.

I got my copy from 'manatarmsbooks.com'. I won't spoil it for you by telling you where he rated the Maynard ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline dart368

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:02:45 AM »
Back to the boots....ordered the "Shooter" boots today.  Figured maybe they would make me shoot better than the "Frontier" boots.   ;D

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Make you shoot better?

Remember that it's usually not the bow nor the arrow, but the Indian, that's the cause of a miss.   ;D

Enjoy he boots.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline dart368

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
Make you shoot better?

Remember that it's usually not the bow nor the arrow, but the Indian, that's the cause of a miss.   ;D

Enjoy he boots.

I was just kidding about shooting better.  I am doing this to try to get better:

I am dry firing 5 days a week twice a day for about 20 minutes.  I have 5 peices of tape up on the wall in a half circle from 9 oclock up to 10 oclock then 12 oclock then 2 oclock and then to 3 oclock.  I will vary the target, going from 9 to 3 or 12 to 2 to 8 to 3 and then 9 oclock or sometimes back and forth from 3 to 9 oclock, back and forth for 10 rounds with rifle, trying to get smooth and fast with the lever action and trigger along with sight alignment.  Then comes the shotgun, doing the same drills but of course with loading and unloading my double barrell.  Then, I put on the holsters and do drills with the revolvers.  Of course, I put it all together as well, going from one gun to the next working on transitions.

But MAYBE if I wear the boots while practicing.... :D

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
Back to the boots....ordered the "Shooter" boots today.  Figured maybe they would make me shoot better than the "Frontier" boots.   ;D

;D  If a person thinks about it, comfortable boots will allow you to shoot better.  It is hard to stay focused and to move well when your feet hurt so bad you can hardly walk.  went to an event for four days in the beginning of October.  The second day I started limping, third day could hardy walk and had constant pain in my left foot.  Fourth day, I just prayed it would end soon.  Got to love comfortable boots.  :)
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
Actually if the boots feel good it will potentially help your shooting.  If the feet hurt bad enough you may be thinking more about the pain in the feet than the front sight.  Just Sayin
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com