Author Topic: Period Correct Infantry Boots  (Read 3671 times)

1961MJS

Period Correct Infantry Boots
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
Hi

I'm looking at getting into SASS / NCOWS / GAF shooting since I live in Cowboy land (Kansas since 1995 and now Oklahoma).  I don't have gun 1 yet for the sport, but I've been looking into the history etc while I'm moving.  My question is about boots.  I don't plan on buying a horse, so I'd rather portray an Infantry soldier from 1866 to 1890 era.  I own civil war era brogans.  What boots would be correct for an infantry officer of that period?  Should I wear the brogans?

Thanks

Mike
Norman OK

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Period Correct Infantry Boots
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
Wear the brogans and save your money for other stuff. ;)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:22 PM »
Agree with RCJ. I wear a pair of brogans with my Span-Am outfit. They're not really correct, but the right ones are about $200 or more, and that source doesn't offer anything between Civil War and the 1892 model shoe.( http://www.civilwarboots.com/  ).
Missouri boot and shoe USED to make the indian wars period shoes, but he doesn't make the 1892 model anymore, I don't know about the earlier models.
http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id17.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:09:41 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »
Navy boondockers from army navy store in chicago run $50 and are close enough for gov't work if you tire of the cw brougham
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

1961MJS

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the information.  I'll wait on the boots for now and blow the $ on other toys.   ;D

Later

Mike
Norman OK

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
Officers in the Indian Wars period generally wore whatever they wanted to in the field, including left-over CW gear/clothing/etc. Since they also bought their own, they probably would have ordered a better quality shoe/boot. However, if the infantry officer had been enlisted during the CW, and then received a field promotion, or possibly attended West Point, he might have kept the enlisted shoes (brogans), and worn then less, so they wouldn't have worn out so quickly. (Most CW enlisted footwear was made of a cheap material that became a name for low-quality goods...i.e., "shoddy".)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
I wonder if "Shoddy" was the name of the maker?   ;D
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
I thought 'shoddy' had its origins in unscrupulous Contractors who supplied uniforms made out of a felt like mixture of fibers pounded together and smoothed to resemble cloth, but could melt away in the rain. Didn't stand up to field campaign use.
I guess term passed into popular jargon as anything of an inferior workmanship or material.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
Actually, shoddy was wool made from recycled wool - old clothes, rags, etc.  It was shredded and then spun into fresh thread and rewoven.  The problem with shoddy was that the wool fibers were very short as a result of the shredding and the cloth didn't have any integrity, so it would tear very easily. 

During the Civil War, unscrupulous purchasing agents would substitute shoddy for virgin wool and pocket the difference.   
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
Very interesting.  So where does "shod" come from when talking about feet, both animal and human?

Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
Victorian terms:

shod - v., the past tense and past participle of 'shoe'.

shoddy - n., an inferior kind of wool made of woolen waste, old rags, yarn, etc.
adj., pretending to be better than it is; of inferior quality; poorly made or designed.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com