Author Topic: Greens  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Greens
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
Del I joined a CSA and have been getting tons of greens.  We can't eat all of them in a weeks time and I don't know what to do with them to keep them from wilting or maybe how to cook them and then store them.  I don't can.

If I cook a bit pot of green will they freeze well?  How do I keep them without putting them in the fridge?  Greens take up tons of room!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Greens
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »
Blanch the 2-3 minutes in boiling water, bag and freeze.  I have a lot of them in my freezer for winter.  Good thing, I think I'm about done, got two more days of cold left and I'll see what's left. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
Then you just cook them as usual?  Can you still just lightly saute your kale after you do this?

Generally I cook my greens for hours in a good steady boil with some cider vinegar, brown sugar, onions and smoked bacon, a pot likker.  ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:50:25 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
Then you just cook them as usual?  Can you still just lightly saute your kale after you do this?

Generally I cook my greens for hours in a good steady boil with some cider vinegar, brown sugar, onions and smoked bacon, a pot likker.  ;D

You could, but that's the way I've always done it. 

BTW kale is just curly collards, exact same species, no big deal except one of the Yuppies on the Lab board said she don't like collards but loves kale, the differences in flavor vary as much in the cultivators  of collards as between collards and kale.  I've had some fun with some of them this year since I'm gardening again.  The funny one is what I have known as open pollinate cultivators now have the term Heirloom tacked on them instead.  Grandpa would have had a fit.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:52:20 AM »
When I was little I ate turnip greens like they were going out of style any chance that I could get.  At some point in time I got to where I would no longer eat them.  Just recently I have been randomly picking up vegetables at the store and trying different ways to cook them.  Someone must have given me a bad batch of greens to make me stop eating them is all that I can say.  Pure turnip greens are still by far my favorites but throwing the collards and the mustard greens in with them doesn't hurt them that much.

So far this is my favorite way to cook them.

I tried the Kale this was and it was good too.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/sauteed-kale-recipe/index.html

I've also taken to throwing handfuls of greens in other things too much like you would spinach.  Soups and stews etc.  I haven't tried any in an egg dish yet but that's coming up.

Del have you ever though about starting a blog on your cooking?
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:35 AM »
My favorite are mustard, turnip and collards tie second.  But the mustard will bolt very quickly when we get any heat.  The collards are new to me, never could grow them before, they do good in our summer heat if I water them am going to find out how well they do as the cold hits us hard.  So far so good, they have survived the low 20's. 

I need a book Blogs for Dummies, no idea how to do one. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.howtostartablog.org/
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Kale holds well in soups.   I use it in all kinds of soups and freeze them in small containers for work lunches.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com