Author Topic: Storing model 1892 with A-zoom snap caps in chamber  (Read 4180 times)

Offline charliebrown

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Storing model 1892 with A-zoom snap caps in chamber
« on: November 06, 2012, 02:02:40 PM »
I recently purchased snap caps by A-zoom for my Winchester model 1892 made in Japan. The gunsmith recommended dry firing with the snap caps. These caps are metal and not cheap as they come 6 to a package. I need advice on storing the gun with a snap cap in the chamber. I intend to coat the snap cap in WD-40 insert in chamber, dry fire the rifle and leave it in the chamber,then store the rifle in my safe until I shoot the gun or dry fire it again. I usually shoot or dry fire weekly. Thanks for your recommendations.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Storing model 1892 with A-zoom snap caps in chamber
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
'Twas a time in my memory it was thunk that storing your rifle with a live cartridge chambered was in some how beneficial. What it caused was several unintended discharges that killed or injured people, particularly children.

Treat ALL guns as always loaded! I see no point in storing one with a dummy cartridge. Want to dry fire? Insert a dummy.

I occasionally dry fire my guns (except cap & ball) and have yet to cause damage.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
WHY, do you even want to do this  ???
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:17 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »
What would be the benefit of storing this weapon or any other with a snap cap? Why would you even buy snap caps when you can make dummies to use? For your so call practice.

treat all weapons as they are loaded.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Why????

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
It's a hammered gun so you can let the hammer down without dry firing it. Why would you store it with anything in the chamber?
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
Howdy

As the others have said, there is no need to do this. Lower the hammer manually before putting the gun away. There is no need to store it with a snap cap in it.

The only time I store a gun with a snap cap in it is with a gun with an internal hammer. The hammer on my Winchester Model 12 is internal. There is no way to lower the hammer manually. I don't like to leave the hammer cocked for a long time, so when I put the gun away I put a snap cap in the chamber, then pull the trigger to drop the hammer. The snap cap in the chamber protects the firing pin.

P.S. There is no need to spray anything on the snap cap when doing this, I never do. Been doing it for a long time now.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
It shouldn't hurt one to leave it cocked. As long as a spring is not over compressed beyond it's design it does not weaken in the compressed state. It's the working of a spring that eventually weakens it.

Also on a lot of guns you just need to hold the trigger as you work the action and it lets it down easy. I don't know that it works on a pump shotgun though because some will fire like that if you hold the trigger.

A bolt rifle you can hold the trigger as you let the bolt down and it lets the firing pin down. Although I never worried about dry firing most modern bolt action rifles.

Hammered guns and rimfires are the ones I was always told not to dry fire.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com