Author Topic: Colt Guns of 1851 London Exhibition  (Read 1818 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt Guns of 1851 London Exhibition
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
Here's a little tid bit I gleaned from a copy of "Man At Arms" magazine (June 2005), an article by Pete Holder about two Colt Dragoons that were part of Colt's 1851 London Exhibition display:

"None of the guns were British proofed, including #10222 and #10223 (the Ormsby engraved Dragoons of the article). The five hundred guns that Colt displayed in the 1851 Exhibition were allowed into England without being proofed, providing they were not sold on the open market.
After the Exhibition, the guns were allowed to be presented to individuals, institutions or serving officers that were leaving Britain to serve in far-flung countries of the British Empire such as India, South Africa or Australia."

That means there are 500 US-made Colt guns out there that have an English connection, but no British proofs. Considering the number of Colt revolvers that went "Blooey" on this side of the Atlantic, you have to wonder how many of these guns survived.
Perhaps that's why Colt London-made guns are thought so highly of and command such a high premium. Unless they had barrels and cylinders actually made in Hartford, assembled in London ..... maddening, ain't it?

The two Dragoons in question went to India, wound up being returned to England and purchased there by collectors. One is a squareback 2nd Model, t'other a 3rd Model.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com