Author Topic: 1851 Colt Navy - Robert E Lee Commemorative 1971 - need advice for new shooter  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Navy Shooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am just beginning in this sport, and would appreciate your help.  Have been interested in the Civil War for years, having relatives on both sides. Recently decided that shooting the same type of guns they did would also be a lot of fun.

At the gun show near us, there we very few blackpowder guns, this 1851 Colt Navy Robert E Lee, Serial number 4012 among them.  The gun felt very natural in my hand, and the trigger pull was very smooth.

However, the gun didn't come with any manuals or instructions.  So I'll post what I think is true of things I need to know about this specific gun, and will appreciate any help you can give me. 

0.36 Cal
0.375 - 0.380 ball size, some say original spec was 0.378
#11 caps (CCI?)
18-28 grains Pyrodex or Goex powder, fffg, or Swiss Black Powder 2.  I have seen some sites that only recommend 22 grains.  My revolver is steel framed.

If you have corrections or comments to the above, let me know.

Additional questions:
Will Uberti replacement parts (e.g. Nipples, springs) fit this revolver?
Thread size of the nipples?
Desired trigger pull (force)?
Good suppliers for parts, powder, etc?
Is there anywhere I can view or download a manual for this gun?

Aside from this site, another link which had helplful information for me was http://www.vincelewis.net/coltnavy2.html, which included disassembly instructions.
I don't smoke much, but when I do, I smoke an 1851 Navy...

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Congratulations on acquiring a 2nd Generation Colt Blackpowder 1851 Navy.  As you have probably guessed, it was made in 1971 at the Colt factory in Hartford.  To answer a few of your questions:

0.36 Cal   Correct
0.375 - 0.380 ball size, some say original spec was 0.378  Original spec was .378.  The 2nd Gens work best with .380 roundballs
#11 caps (CCI?) Will probably work OK; but I've found Remington #10s work best
18-28 grains Pyrodex or Goex powder, fffg, or Swiss Black Powder 2.  I have seen some sites that only recommend 22 grains.  My revolver is steel framed.   18 to 28 grains is a good range.  I use 22 grains in all my .36s with goodresults
Will Uberti replacement parts (e.g. Nipples, springs) fit this revolver? Yes.  Some parts - like a replacement hand/spring or bolt - may require minor fitting
Thread size of the nipples? Standard Uberti nipples with thread size of 12-28
Desired trigger pull (force)? Good question.  I've never measured mine. The new Slix-Shot Nipples are designed so you can use a reduced power hammer spring.  I've got them on a pair of '61 Navies of mine and they work really well
Good suppliers for parts, powder, etc? VTI Gunparts or Taylor's for parts
Is there anywhere I can view or download a manual for this gun?  Original manuals show up on Gunbroker and Ebay from time to time.  Don't know of a download source
Aside from this site, another link which had helplful information for me was http://www.vincelewis.net/coltnavy2.html, which included disassembly instructions.

Instead of following vince's directions, I suggest you go to Bottom Dealing Mike's U-tube listing and watch his videos on loading and cleaning   They are much more informative - and accurate.

If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Navy Shooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks Fingers, I'll be checking out the video.  Hoping to get some shots off, before the weather turns cold.  One of the greatest things to me was that my wife told me there was a gun show.  Now THAT's an understanding wife.
I don't smoke much, but when I do, I smoke an 1851 Navy...

Advertising

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
My wife usually seeks out the gun shows and makes sure that I get there. Course shes the one usually gettin guns ta follow her home. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Nice find! I've been eyeballing the Robert E. Lee commemorative pretty hard.  ;D
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com