Author Topic: Carrying 'Antique' Revolvers in Canada  (Read 7087 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carrying 'Antique' Revolvers in Canada
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »
There is an ongoing discussion on Canadian GunNutz (black powder & antiques column) re: the legalities of packing an 'antique' revolver in the boonies. Some of you may wish to contribute.
The general opinion is that since an 'antique' revolver can be discharged anywhere a non-restricted firearm can be legally fired, it's cool to pack one in the bush. That's where it gets interesting ....

I've postulated that until someone has had an actual experience of encountering a LEO in the field while so doing, the discussion is all smoke and mirrors, a theoretical discourse on the question. Getting the opinion of your LEO buddy at the range or coffee shop is one thing - having an encounter in the bush with one on patrol quite another matter.

Being in the bush with any firearm during hunting season is deemed "hunting". You cannot hunt with a handgun in Canada.
Your letter of 'antique' status is going to be hard to produce when you are face down in the dirt, being held at gun point. Then you have to hope that the LEO is going to have the smarts to read and comprehend it and buy your story.

Chances are you are going to have your firearms seized and have to prove your case in court. To think otherwise is to be naive and far too trusting of the attitide of LEOs towards firearms ownership in general, and handguns in particular - IMHO.
There is also the likelihood of being stopped enroute to your hunting environment or going through a game check and declaring your 'antique' when asked if you have any other firearms with you.

I've got a safe private range on my property and I've had the experience of talking to a CO after a neighbour complained that my .22 rifle was upsetting her horses! Had she reported that I was shooting a handgun of ANY type, 'antique' or not, I could have expected a visit from an ERT unit.

Until someone has an incident while carrying an 'antique' revolver in the field, it's just a topic of discussion with a bunch of good ol' boys around the stove on a snowy day .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Carrying 'Antique' Revolvers in Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:34:23 AM »
Oh Canada.  Oh Canada!!
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
Yeah, and you can see just how concerned Canucks are about our non-sensical, Draconian and ineffective gun laws that only affect the law abiding. Most simply don't give a damn or are just too lazy and complacent to do anything to help themselves - except whine and complain.
Eventually, there will be nothing left to whine or complain about as ALL the guns will be taken, one type, one gun at a time.
Acquiescence is our true national characteristic, not our much vaunted politeness; "Don't rock the boat" our national motto.

Anyone who doesn't think so needs to research all the gun types and calibres we are banned from owning, the "grandfathering" of 12(6) 'prohib' pistols, the restrictions on transporting, storage, etc.

If Obama gets re-elected, Americans can look forward to a continuing attack on their gun rights and their 2nd amendment.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:14:59 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com