Author Topic: Chamber too tight? Or quick to panic  (Read 3511 times)

Offline NMCowboy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chamber too tight? Or quick to panic
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »
After a lifetime of want, and a few model 94's around the house, I finally procured a real 73' 44WCF made in 1884 in what i think to be excellent condition. Commercial ammo is not readily available since no one will ship black powder cartridges to Alaska. So I went and got some Winchester brass (given the choice between that and Remington) to test the functionality of the gun. And the case fits so tight into the chamber that once I got it fully seated I wound up having to rod it out. So I fit one manually and it stops about 1/4" from being seated, so I rammed it home with the strength of a bear to close the action, and when I attempted to eject the case the extractor destroyed the rim of the case. I'm really hoping this to be a growing pain and not a $1,500.00 fireplace rifle. One local store has Ultramax cowboy load 44-40 on the shelf, and this would be my only option to shoot her until I can get dies, but I'd hate to do anything neglectful to this piece of history. She is a sporter with a special order 22" barrel. Ughh I am frustrated anyone got any ideas on why the chamber seems too small?
If you write Police reports, you should know the difference between there, their and they're.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Chamber too tight? Or quick to panic
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
Just a thought;  Is it a 44WCF or a 38 WCF?  the number should be on the bottom of the carrier as well as on the barrel.

I would wait until the dies arrive. LEEs are pretty good for .44-40 It could be that new brass has slightly larger necks.  Meanwhile, make sure the chamber & barrel are thoroughly cleaned. If you can, slug the barrel and maybe do a chamber cast.  My original was fairly loose, until I had it relined (It REALLY needed it!) now it is to modern standards and works like a dream
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline NMCowboy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
Yes it definitely says .44 Cal, on the bottom of the carrier, but the barrel only has the standard, winchester and kings patent stamps. But like I said, the gun was a special order 22" not standard 24". I am heading to the gunsmith with it now, so I'll update.
If you write Police reports, you should know the difference between there, their and they're.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:11:14 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »
Just a thought;  Is it a 44WCF or a 38 WCF?  the number should be on the bottom of the carrier as well as on the barrel.

I would wait until the dies arrive. LEEs are pretty good for .44-40 It could be that new brass has slightly larger necks.  Meanwhile, make sure the chamber & barrel are thoroughly cleaned. If you can, slug the barrel and maybe do a chamber cast.  My original was fairly loose, until I had it relined (It REALLY needed it!) now it is to modern standards and works like a dream
What did it cost you to have your chamber relined? Thanks WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »
NMCowboy,
Welcome to the forum. Was the brass virgin or once fired? If it was fired that explains the reason why it was a tight fit in your gun.
Once resized, it should fit fine unless there is an obstruction in the chamer of some sort....or  as was mentioned, could the rifle actually be a 38 W.C.F.(?).

I have a 73 Short Rifle made in 1882, and the chamber is a bit oversized in the neck area.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
What did it cost you to have your chamber relined? Thanks WM

It was a complete barrel liner as the bore was too rough.  I had it done about 15 years ago so I would have no idea what it would cost now.  The liner was probably from Brownells. 
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
what wf44., said was the brass already fired?????

hootmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com