Author Topic: Best Horsey movie  (Read 10299 times)

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best Horsey movie
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
. . . always bothered me, is in scenes where they have a stage coach and horses moving, is that the horses are always being ran at a gallop. That didn't happen in real life anywhere . . .

And, scenes where horses and cattle are being  rounded up, or moved a distance, they always show the animals being ran . . .

Well, in the movies, it's "action" that makes the scene . . . audiences would go to sleep watching the pace of an actual cattle drive, so it's either authenticity or entertainment. I beg to differ on the coaches, however. On most lines, the stations were fairly close, 10-15 miles apart, and just like today, speed was the desire of the commercial traveler. Teams of six and sometimes eight in hand would travel at a lope on level ground, and as fast as the road would allow the rest of the time. Teams were changed at the stations, unless the station master couldn't round up his stock in time for some reason . . . then, it was on at a walk to the next stop.

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 06:10:50 AM »
If we are talkin films that are "all about the horse".....

HIDALGO has to be my all time favorite, followed by In Pursuit Of Honor.

One we forget at times..........

The Electric Horseman

Redford was great.
Willie was good.
Hanoi Jane was "tolerable".

And that magnificent horse just STILL takes my breath away.

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
And it had a young pea eye parker too boot! ;D

Still love the scene where he's riding down the street and midnight rider is playing  8)
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:30:27 PM »

Offline HighWall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
Since we're all 'Cowboys' and/or 'Soldiers' here, let's leave out the thoroughbred race horse stories. What are the best horse movies ever?
I'll nominate two for the running:

Hidalgo (the horse was the star)
War Horse

The latter is a little late for our eras, but horse have long been a weapon of war right up to WW II.

Really surprised nobody's mentioned the greatest horse movie of all time, The Black Stallion.  I mean from a directorial and cinematographic standpoint, it's just amazing.  I had an Australian Shepherd pup who used to bark and charge the screen whenever there was a horse on screen.  He absolutely came unglued over that movie.  We had to make him leave the room.  Lonesome Dove, too, for tham matter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com