Author Topic: Marbles Peep Tang Sights for Cimarron/Uberti 1876  (Read 11200 times)

Offline Big Zwey

• Citizen
  • "Don't he look funny with that ear ahangin off?"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marbles Peep Tang Sights for Cimarron/Uberti 1876
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
Just spoke w/Buffalo Arms about tang mounted Marbles Peep sights for this rifle and was told that the MAR 991001 Improved base and the Mar 990110 Std Upright that they list in their catalog as fitting for the 1876 Uberti wont work. They said that the bolt will bang into it when a cartridge is ejected. They also went on to say that they know of nothing that will work for the 76. Anyone know of another sight that will work from experience? These things were meant to have peep sights in the old days. Seems kind of naked without them

Offline Big Zwey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Marbles Peep Tang Sights for Cimarron/Uberti 1876
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
This is pretty confusing cuz in the thread Asa Smith started "Tang sights for the 76" Several members have reported that the Marbles Mar991001 does work w/o interference with the bolt. Furthermore, to be sure to get the right length upright. Although its not clear if that would be the standard upright Mar 990110 or the Mid Range Upright Mar990120? Their seems to be just as much confusion at Buffalo Arms because half of their reps say it will and half say it wont. The Cimmaron/Uberti '76' has both holes in the tang drilled and tapped so its ready to go for a peep sight addition. Anybody out there know for Double Dog Sure??????

Offline Jubal Wilson

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Big Zwey, I have a Cimarron/Uberty 1876 that I mounted a standard Marble's tang sight for a 1873 Winchester/Uberti on and it works just fine with no interference with bolt. There is over 1/2 inch of clearance between the rear of the bolt and the nurreled part of the Marble's upright. I tried the one that was recommended for the 1876 (and the 1886) has the base of the upright to the rear of the tang and it interfered with my thumb wraping around the stock. Hope this helps.
Jubal
Jubal Wilson

When a man loses his dreams he becomes a wanderer in the wasteland of human existence.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:40:31 AM »

Offline Big Zwey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
Jubal;
Thanks for the reply. This has all been very confusing because half the folks at Buffalo arms say it will hit the bolt and half say it will not. I dont know how much actual experience they have with this, but I tend to be more comfortable taking the advise of someone that has actual experience with what does indeed work such as yourself. marbles has a couple of charts; one for standard peep sights and one for improved peep sights. The improved chart sights have the ability to select different length uprights and you order the base and then what upright you want. Wheras the standard, you just order the whole unit. The one you said caused thumb interference I believe is listed under the standard chart because it says it is for the Winchester 1876,1886 (Orig) and is part no. MAR 009801. The same chart has one that says Uberti 1873(not hunter)1876 part no. MAR 009832. Could that be the one you have? Or, do you have the "improved peep tang sight" with the different upright lenghts option?
many thanks
Big Zwey

Offline Jubal Wilson

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
Big Zwey,
Here is a picture of a 1873 Winchester/Uberti and a 1876 Winchester/Uberti both with the Marble's tang sight for the 1873. There is plenty of clearance (1/2 inch) from the rear of the bolt on the 1876 to knereled part of the sight. The sight on the 1876 has a longer staff (probably a mid-range) that use to be available from Marble's. I don't remember the numbers but the sight is the original version not the new improved sight.

Jubal
Jubal Wilson

When a man loses his dreams he becomes a wanderer in the wasteland of human existence.

Offline Big Zwey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
Thanks Jubal;
I will double check with Marbles to see whats up w/this. It is obvious that the bolt clears and that there is enough room for the thumb.

Offline Cimarron

• North of the Cimarron River, I.T.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »
I went to the Marbles website and ordered one for the 1876 Winchester.  It fit my Uberti/Cimarron fine.
HOLY BLACK?  YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com