Author Topic: peppers still poppin' out  (Read 3955 times)

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
peppers still poppin' out
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
Our garden's lookin' pretty ragged but the pepper plants are still turning 'em out.  Pretty good for mid-October.

What are your favorite uses for jalapeno peppers?  How about anaheims? (they're the long ones in the pic). Haven't picked the serranos, yet. They're fiery little devils.

A really simple and delicious way to do the jalapenos is to cut in half, scoop out some quick and the seeds if you don't want too much fire. Fill with cream cheese, wrap half a bacon slice around the halve and secure with a toothpick. Then put them on a rack in a pan and bake for 25 minutes or so at 375 (longer for more crispy on the bacon).

It's fast, simple, and hard to stop eating 'em!
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: peppers still poppin' out
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
My jalepenos are popping out hardcore now, got some ring of fires going too. On Sunday, I was smoking a pork tenderloin, so I also smoked a batch of jalepeno poppers . Turned out great! Last night, my wife made some more poppers, this time coated and fried, also fantastic!  I like jalepenos on most anything, but I do love me some poppers :)
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
yeah, I Love me some poppers!  ;D

I think jalapenos are my favorite all around peppers. Put 'em in chili, cornbread, eat 'em raw, pickle 'em, pop 'em, do anything with 'em.
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:22:25 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »
My father was a big time lover of all things jalapeno.  He really loved 2 things, (other than my mom!) green olives stuffed with garlic and jalapeno, and jalapeno poppers, those breaded deep fried pub type goodness.   Well, he tried to duplicate them at home, but you had to roast the jalapeno to skin it or your breading would not stick.  About this time, #1 son (me) who is also a mad scientist developed the late night college delicacy of Peanut butter wontons.   When I was in college, my roommates and I all met in Karate, and eventually got  house together.   We dived in to all things Asian  and regularly did stirfry.  For some reason, having spent all of our money on Milwaukee's best we were short on food.  We had a deep fryer, wonton skins and peanut butter and jelly.   I did what any mad scientist will do, I stuffed the peanut butter in the wonton and fried it.  dipped in jelly they were down right sinful.   We put anything that moved into them, taco meat, refried beans, nutello, peanutbutter and chocolate, ALL AMAZING.  Well, I tell dad about my discovery and he gets to thinking.   Next day he chopps a bunch of jalapenos, green onion, mixes in some garlic, cream cheese and wrapps up a bunch of wontons.  Deep frys them and the disappeared in a flash.  They are amazing!   Dad called them Pepper Raccoons cause they looked like crab rangoon. 

you can prep these quite quickly.  Just chop up as much jalapeno as you like, blend with the cream cheese and we always lked the onion added in.  about a teaspoon in the wonton skin and seal it up.   At this point if you freeze them, they keep for a couple of months, pull them out of the freezer while the oil heats up and they are ready to fry.

make lots they are quite addictive.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »
We still have orange habaneros, jalapenos, red cayennes and bananas going well.  ;D
We're giving the last pick away to a local restaraunt that does Southwest cooking.  Then we till 'er up!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »
to get the breading to stick, it's best to do a double dip. Once in milk, followed by flour. Let em sit for 10 minutes. then another quick dip in milk and roll em through the bread crumbs. Let em sit just a little bit more, then they are ready to fry. (that's for the breaded ones).  I like to do em in the smoker too, with no breading, just cut off the top, scoop out the innards, fill with cheese, and cap it with a piece of bacon, run a toothpick through both sides to secure it over the top like a cap. Sit em it the smoker for about an hr, hr and a half, till the bacon is crisp. Enjoy :D
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:19:01 AM »
This is all making me hungry.  Wonder where I can get some wonton dough...?

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
Hey J.D.,
Most grocery stores carry them.  They come in packs of100.   Look in the chilled areas near the produce. 
100 ought to do for a nice snack!

Offline TallBaldBellied

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
Make some pepper jelly. 

1 cup jalapeno's chopped
2clove garlic chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1tsp food coloring of choice
8 oz Certo

put all ingredients in blender except sugar

liquefy

pour liquid over sugar in large boiler

bring to boil stirring constantly for 1 minute (stir or you'll have a big mess)

remove and strain return to boiler

boil for 5 minutes remove from heat

add 8 oz Certo (gel in foil works better IMO) quickly

add food coloring of choice

fills 6 half pints

water bath for 10 minutes

Use on breakfast toast, pretzel sticks, bagel chips, etc...

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »
Hey J.D.,
Most grocery stores carry them.  They come in packs of100.   Look in the chilled areas near the produce. 
100 ought to do for a nice snack!

I'll have to check that out next time we grocery shop. But I have a feeling I'll run out of jalapenos before then, using the recipe fer bacon peppers I posted up top.

Pepper jelly? That sounds like a good one to sneak on some unsuspecting victi...friends!  ;D

Offline TallBaldBellied

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
Pepper jelly? That sounds like a good one to sneak on some unsuspecting victi...friends!  ;D

I've got feller's at work what'll pay 5 dollars or more for a half pint.  It is addictive!  I make it with Serrano's, cayenne, and some Korean hot pepper that is used in Kim-Chi.  When I run out of enough to make it pure of a type, I mix up the peppers.  I grow all my own peppers too.   This past year I had 38 plants started from seed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com