Author Topic: The Lone Ranger  (Read 12605 times)

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Lone Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 05:13:21 AM »
Haven't seen the film yet, but I will.  Is it just me, or do others think the hyperbolized "western" styles in this film border on "steampunk" rather than "western?"  I expect this film will be fun, but for my idea of a western, I go for the Coen Bros. True Grit, Appaloosa, and (for a "Southern") the Proposition.  Maybe that's just my taste...
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
Octagon, I'd say it's your taste alright, but you got GOOD taste . . . (MHO) !

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 06:44:33 AM »
C'mon!  Only one of us has seen it so far?  No wonder it's tanking at the box office. I'm taking my grandson next week depending on the violence level.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:16:05 AM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »
Just got back from seeing it with my Bride. She said she was somewhat entertained. I thought it was sort of silly and just so so. At times I thought it would never end. Just like Cowboys & Aliens and Django Unchained I went to see it out of curiosity and would not buy the DVD or care to see it again. I'll bet I've seen Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, Open Range, Tombstone, Appalloosa, the John Wayne Cavalry Trilogy, both 3:10 to Yuma's, both True Grits etc. so many times that I've lost count. There are about one hundred Westerns in my collection. I watch most of them over and over again. I just don't care for this new style of Western. Just my humble opinion. I'm by no means an authority on movies
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
Saw the movie. Not period correct in any way, shape or form.  The movie was entertaining and fun. Lots of action and comedy. A good movie to take your grandkids to see. Mine sure enjoyed it.
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
Saw the movie. Not period correct in any way, shape or form.  The movie was entertaining and fun. Lots of action and comedy. A good movie to take your grandkids to see. Mine sure enjoyed it.

That pretty much sums it up. Having seen it three times already, I'm just thankful that there were no buscadero rigs or brass-framed guns in it.
A work in progress.

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
Ok, I went and saw it.  Went by myself so this is my sole perspective.

This is a big budget movie with great cinematography.  The scenery is great on the big screen.  The sets are rich and detailed.  Money and talent are visible in the costuming.  The action sequences are very 21st century and will hold their own with any modern action movie.

My overall impression is that this was directed by at least three different people.  This movie can't decide what it wants to be; a serious action western, a parody, slapstick comedy, or social commentary.  All of that is there, but it just doesn't come together.

Take the eleven year old kids in your family and if they like it, pull out a really great western and show them that.  I don't regret the money I spent to see it, but I won't be adding it to my home collection.

Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
Went today,figured if it wasn't good, the air conditioned theater, would be better then working in the heat and humidity.  The movie was better then I expected.  Wasn't historic or period correct.  But I thought it was a fun movie. See it,  it's mindless fun and a good distraction.
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Just got back from taking my grandson to see it . I was expecting the worst from what I have heard and read . I thought it was very well done . It certainly not your typical western that us old-timers are used to but it was quite a show . I would call it ,  Lone Ranger-The Comedy . I've seen all the John Ford Westerns but you've never seen Monument Valley look as spectacular as it does in this movie . Don't wait for the DVD because it really needs to be seen on the big screen . After the first 5-10 minutes, you don't even notice the crow .

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »
Just got back from taking my grandson to see it . I was expecting the worst from what I have heard and read . I thought it was very well done . It certainly not your typical western that us old-timers are used to but it was quite a show . I would call it ,  Lone Ranger-The Comedy . I've seen all the John Ford Westerns but you've never seen Monument Valley look as spectacular as it does in this movie . Don't wait for the DVD because it really needs to be seen on the big screen . After the first 5-10 minutes, you don't even notice the crow .
ADDENDUM: I know we should be used to this by now but the movie takes place in 1869 and most of the gunmen are sporting 1873 Colts . Some even have brass grip frames . Must be some tribute to Sergio Leone .

Offline Twitchy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »
I liked it a lot, my wife thought it was stupid.  When I asked why, she said that the story seemed far fetched. I told her It was the Lone Ranger, it's supposed to be far fetched.  She laughed an said at last it HAS a story, unlike a lot of current movies.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
My wife and I drove 50 miles into town last night to see the movie. We both liked it, but it was a bit long.

Yes, the guns were wrong for the era, but how many TV shows and 'B' westerns did we watch as kids and loved 'em all? I didn't give a rats's patoot about Paladdin's quick draw rig or that worn Marshall Dillon, and even then knew they were wrong. Now that we're sophisticated adults, we like to poke holes in movies to show our great knowledge and how much smarter we are than the movie makers.
What happened is that it stirred a lifelong interest in guns and here I am in my dotage still playing with them.

It's hard not to like Johnny Depp in such a role. He stole the scene sometimes with just a dead pan look or straight line. The scenery was great and the stunts spectacular.

Was it a spoof? Of course it was, but what was not to like? The audience in our red neck theatre was clapping along to the "William Tell Overture" amid gales of laughter. I'm already looking forward to the sequel, but then, I liked "Cowboys and Aliens" as well.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »
am I the only one that noticed the coon "bone"?
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Joespapa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »
Saw it last week with the wife. We both like a "good" western. I don't really think this qualifies. It was entertaining in spots, the cinematography and action sequences were stellar. That said, I was greatly disappointed. In my opinion they could have done a serious film with this fantasy story and it would have been much better. The parallel for me would be Batman Begins as opposed to all the ones that came before it.
Still, I will take my Grandkids . I just wish they had not been so tongue-in-cheek.
JP

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
am I the only one that noticed the coon "bone"?

Nope I didn't know Texas Rangers hired Okies till I saw this movie. What Tonto did with that Oklahoma toothpick had me in tears after I told my girlfriend what it was.  ;D

I shot a coon that was tearing up some feed the other night and she wanted a pic with it. I said look honey you can have your own nose picker too;) :D.... I gotta say she has an arm, never seen a dead coon fly that far ;D

"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Just saw this last night on STARZ.   I am really late to the game.  I am not a Depp fan, but was glued to the TV in the mid 70s when they reran the Clayton Moore shows on Saturday and Sunday.  I had the Lone Ranger action figure, with articualted Silver, still do, it is up in my man cave/leather work shop.   I have to say I enjoyed it.  If it gets one kid to want to play Cowboys, then I am happy.   There does seem to be a move to Steampunk up some of the stories, but this one not so much, unless placing the intercontinental railway join up in Texas.  So, a little alternative history.   I enjoyed it.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
Just saw this last night on STARZ. 

Wife and I just watched it as well.  It was fun, she laughed at several spots. 

I met Clayton Moore when I was a kid, he gave me a silver bullet.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com