Author Topic: Question about USFA serial numbering.  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Question about USFA serial numbering.
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
Does anyone know why the serial number stamping on all USFA single actions are not located on the revolvers the same. I have four revolvers and all four have the serial number stamped on the bottom of the frame just forward of the triggar guard strap, then two also have the serial number stamped on the triggar guard strap and the bottom of the back strap. Two others have only the stamping on the bottom of the frame just forward of the triggar guard strap. One of these is a Turnbull gun so I understand the difference of the stamp location on that one, but the other one is a USFA that I purchased new. Don't know why the triggard strap and back strap are not stamped. Did they do them differently or did this one just get by the inspectors?

Thanks, Louis
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline mtone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question about USFA serial numbering.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
USFA used to put the serial numbers on the frame (required), BS & TG and still do on the Pre War, HNs, etc.  They never did them on the Rodeo and stopped doing it for awhile on the single actions (CC & DB).  I don't think they did them on the distributor guns either.  Of course, they aren't making anything right now.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48:59 AM »
Buckaroo Lou:

MTone is correct.  On the USFA Single Action models, USFA stopped stamping the serial numbers on the trigger guard and bottom of the backstrap at some point between serial numbers 27430 (~August 2009) and 27984 (~June 2010).  This was probably done as a production cost savings step.

J.D. Press

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:34:28 PM »

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
Thanks guys!

jdpress, The serial number on the one that ins't stamped falls within the range of numbers you posted. Thanks.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com