Author Topic: Barrel Change  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Storm Crow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Barrel Change
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
A friend of mine has a Puma/Rossi model 92 in .44 Magnum.  He wants to swap the barrel for a .45 Long Colt barrel.  He says he had a Marlin lever action in .44 that he could load .45 LC in the magazine tube, and the gun would cycle, and all but put a round in the chamber.  Is this feasible, or advisable? 

He's wanting to use .45 LC in both his revolvers, and rifle, but he's trying to get out of buying another gun.  Thank you for your thoughts, and advice in this matter.

Storm Crow
Someone recently asked me, "what is the best western?"  I replied, "It's a pretty good motel, but I like Motel 6; they'll keep a light on for you."

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Barrel Change
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »
Greetings StormCrow -

Often they will fit - but YMMV, best to actually check with empty  .45 Colt brass .

Unless he has the new .45colt barrel in hand as is willing to do all the work himself, it is most likely that the gunsmithing costs will actually be more than the price of a new rifle, and perhaps will function less satisfactorily ...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
+1.  These guns aren't expensive in the first place.  However, barrels are hard to get and ain't cheap.  By the time you pay to have the work done you would be better off selling it and buying one in the Caliber you want.  Also, a Marlin and a 92 aren't even close to being the same.  The feed rails on the 92 have to be set fairly close to the caliber they are intended to shoot.  The Marlin has no feed rails.  So, you are apt to have feeding problems with a .45 in a .44 gun and will have to change the rails as well.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:31:09 PM »

Offline Storm Crow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »
I talked to him today, and I'm pretty sure that he has been dissuaded from what could potentially be disastrous.  He planned to do the work himself, which I'm sure he is more than competent to do something so simple. 

Another board I frequent suggested that the bolt face for a .44 Magnum would not work with .45 LC, and that pretty much closed up any thought of back room gunsmithing this lever action. 

He's decided to just shoot .44 Special out of it until he is able to afford one in .45 LC.

Thanks again for the advice.

Storm Crow
Someone recently asked me, "what is the best western?"  I replied, "It's a pretty good motel, but I like Motel 6; they'll keep a light on for you."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com