Author Topic: Best 1873 Levergun model out there - BRAND?  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best 1873 Levergun model out there - BRAND?
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »

Of those of you who have and shoot the 1873 Winchester model guns; in your own opinion; who makes the best looking, most reliable model?  And what length of barrel does everyone prefer?

Thanks,

Slickshot

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Best 1873 Levergun model out there - BRAND?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »
Uberti is the ONLY maker. Taylor's, Cimarron, EMF etc... are importers. Only difference is the markings really. As for barrel length, that would be a personal preference. I like the 24 inch length, but I do not "cowboy" shoot. I hunt with mine.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
Slickshot.

The best model 1873 reproduction, to my mind, is the Codymatic ... he starts with a Uberti '73 and then slicks it up with all the fast things ... including the short throw lever and an aluminum carrier ...

It seems like good sense to:

1. Get all the good stuff put on by one person at one time ... this allows him to tweak each thing that changes once one puts the speedy stuff on. It is kind of a given that one thing will effect the performance of another ... and he can 'fix' the whole rifle to get you a good end product.

2. You get the warranty for the whole gun, including all the 'go fast' stuff. Some warranties will go so far as to require the original parts be in the rifle or the warranty is null and void ...

3. The price is more than a stock '73, but cheaper than the total if you bought all the 'go fast' stuff after the purchase of the rifle.

One Caveat
: NCOWS does not, I believe, allow competition with a short stroke kit or aluminum carriers . So if you plan to compete with NCOWS, this would not be an option ....

http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:23:58 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
As noted there is currently only one maker of 73s -- Uberti.  The "Codymatic" is not a "model" of the 73.  Cody is simply one of dozens of gunsmiths that slick up 73s.  A few years ago there were some 73s made by Chapparal.  They are for the most part junk and if you see one on clearance you will be better served by paying more and buying a Uberti.  Far and away the most popular model of the 73 for competition is the 20" pistol grip Border Rifle.  However, any variation of the Uberti 73 can be tuned up and will do quite well in competition.

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
Pettifogger,

I am used to shooting Straight stock lever actions, not the pistol grip type...  Is one better than the other...as far as staying on target when cycling the lever?

Slickshot

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
Slick,
The choice between straight stock and pistol grip is purely personal preference.  I see more straight stocks than pistol grip, but I don't go to as many big matches as Pettifogger  :)  Pistol grip rifles are checkered and a checkered forend might help your grip in pulling it against your shoulder.  I agree that 20" is the most popular length, but there are a lot of 18" octagon and half-round rifles as well with the fast shooters.  Round barrel carbines are a little less popular since they are lighter out front and harder to hold steady, plus there is more involved in changing out the front sight on a carbine.  On the other hand, some folks prefer the carbine buttplate style to the crescent rifle butt.  Some even cut off the crescent and cover the flat end with leather.  A lot of folks like their 24" rifles and they do hold steady but swing more slowly and you won't see many top shooters using them.

Now, you did ask about "best looking".  I would say the charcoal blue finish is definitely the prettiest (I have two pistols and two '73 carbines in charcoal blue), although it does wear more quickly.  But the patina at at the wear points looks good, too, IMO.

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »

Abeline,

I agree, I am enamored with a Color Case Hardened finish!  I have my Cimarron's, Stampede, and own a Colt (unfired 3rd generation made in "78" and that is in .44 Special.

I have an AWA Peacekeeper also...Case finished.

I am thinking of that Colt 1883 Rifle now...  Just have to save me up some MONEY... And sell my 1894 Winchester .45 Colt Lever, with Octagon Barrel (NIB) I bought before they shut down U.S production of them.

Slickshot

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:03:13 PM »
Wildman,

I am glad that you feel good about the gun ... I didn't mention it, but he has a good reputation for standing behind his work ... and I think that might just tip the scales for me ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:34 AM »
Slickshot,  Just keep in mind that if you plan to shoot a 73 at an NCOWS match one of those Codymatics would not be acceptable due to the modifications.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »

Deadeye Don,

When I am able to finally purchase either the 1873 or Colt Burgess 1883 Lever guns...I most like will not be modifying them...I haven't modified any of my Long guns to date... I tend to run them stock... 

Thank you for the info and recommendations,

Slickshot

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
Howdy
The 1873 is an Excellent choice . My favorite caliber is 44wcf , and if you shoot black powder you will see why . Good luck with what ever you choose .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com