Author Topic: Got my Maynard in the mail today!!!  (Read 5412 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got my Maynard in the mail today!!!
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »
I am so chuffed!I  got my new Maynard from Larry Romano today ... what a lovely piece!

Next SSKI check will order a new bullet rammer for reloading, and the next SSKI should bring about some bullet molds ...
Then in the long run I will have to look into some real calvary pants, boots and spurs....now if I could only rent a horse...*S*

This will allow me to perform in the personna of my great grandfather, Watt (Wadd) Watson Ellis
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Got my Maynard in the mail today!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »
Excellant!  Are Maynard's the ones that use the paper primers?  Or are the Burnside's the ones that use the paper primers.  I have looked at Romano's web page numerous times.   Beautiful looking carbine.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
Congratulations, Wadd. That's a beautiful firearm. When you get it shooting, let us know how it does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:15:30 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »
Great Looking weapon!  Did he send any cartridge cases with it?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
Great Looking weapon!  Did he send any cartridge cases with it?

Tascosa Joe,

He sent me two brass ones ... and I plan to make 'dummy' cartridges (i.e. caps) using cream of wheat for powder and putting a disc of 1/2" plastic down first (to keep the cream of wheat from coming out the end and to show that they are 'dummies'). That way I can practice loading quickly and use them for show and tell .... that is once I get some .515 (Maynard) bullets ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
Excellant!  Are Maynard's the ones that use the paper primers?  Or are the Burnside's the ones that use the paper primers.  I have looked at Romano's web page numerous times.   Beautiful looking carbine.

Mogorilla,

Gee, thanks! They were kind of a missing link in rifles ... they had a cartridge that had a small hole where the primer usually was ... then they were ignited by a hammer falling on a cap-gun like paper roll(filled with fulminate of mercury) ... or a standard black powder (#11) cap that sat on the trigger ... in the humid south, the rolls often turned to a paper mache type thing and then caps were used; in the Southwest with it's dryer weather, I am told that the rolls worked quite well.

In any case, the explosion from the paper 'Cap' or the explosion from the traditional 'cap' went down a small tube/tunnel in the rifle, through the hole in the back of the cartridge, and ignited the powder within ... a better system than cap-and-balll, but still open to the weather (slightly) for the powder to get moist ....

See the shells in the earlier post ... these are actually battlefield finds from the War of the Northern Aggression...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
WWE;  Not really a missing link;

There were several evolutions before the arrival of the central-fire, self-contained, breach-sealing brass cartridge that we know today.  Your Maynard was one of the steps, shared with a few others, along the way.  The history of firearms technology around this time is facinating.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »
Mogorilla,

Gee, thanks! They were kind of a missing link in rifles ... they had a cartridge that had a small hole where the primer usually was ... then they were ignited by a hammer falling on a cap-gun like paper roll(filled with fulminate of mercury) ... or a standard black powder (#11) cap that sat on the trigger ... in the humid south, the rolls often turned to a paper mache type thing and then caps were used; in the Southwest with it's dryer weather, I am told that the rolls worked quite well.

In any case, the explosion from the paper 'Cap' or the explosion from the traditional 'cap' went down a small tube/tunnel in the rifle, through the hole in the back of the cartridge, and ignited the powder within ... a better system than cap-and-balll, but still open to the weather (slightly) for the powder to get moist ....

See the shells in the earlier post ... these are actually battlefield finds from the War of the Northern Aggression...

Mogorilla,

Here is a really good post on the Maynards ....

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/civil-war/Maynard-carbine.pdf

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »

Hi,

I just found these pics online ... they explain far better than my humble words ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
 WW....Great Looking weapon! Like to see it in action.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
WW....Great Looking weapon! Like to see it in action.

OCB

OCB<

You certainly will ... Caleb Hobbs has asked me if I might write a note about Maynards ... but at $2.50/shell (and I haven't even discussed bullets yet *S*), it is looking like sometime after the New Year before I can get it to the range .... but when I do, I will be sure to get pics of it in action!

NCOWS #3403

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Wadd, I used to shoot an original. I got my brass from Dixie in those days, but their Maynard cast bullets were very sloppy. I would recommend you contact Dakota Widowmaker here at CAS City to see if he is still offering his modified Lee mold for the .56-50 Spencers. It drops a .515 bullet, which a little heavier than the original, should still give you very good service in your Maynard. I used to shoot an original Merrill as well, but preferred that little Maynard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com