Author Topic: New skillet  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New skillet
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
Just picked up a 12" cast iron skillet. I took it home and seasoned it and this morning I fryed up some bacon and eggs in it. I have never used a cast iron skillet before and I was very pleased. It seemed that the skillet heated up twice as fast as my old teflon pan and heated more universaly. The eggs did not stick and clean up was a breeze. This and my 12" 8 qt dutch oven are some of my prized possesions.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: New skillet
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
Cast is great stuff for frying, ain't it?
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
It sure is! With all the fancy modern and expensive inovations out there, I'm sold on good old time proven cast iron.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:59 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
It sure is! With all the fancy modern and expensive inovations out there, I'm sold on good old time proven cast iron.

Hi Y'all,

Speaking of skillets, i have heard of tiny sized skillets that fit in the  back of a plate in a Civil War haversack ... any suggestions or sources?

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »
Wadd, I recently saw a 6" or 8" folding stamped steel skillet, small and fairly light weight.   Problem is I can't remember where I saw it.  Had to have been one of the normal places I browse like Dixie, Crazy Crow, or one of those. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 07:42:28 AM »
Wadd

Several CW suttlers sell small 5" or 6" stamped steel skillettes.... be aware though, most have the bi-metal handle (insulated)

great idea but way later then the 1860's

This one from C & D Jarnagin Company is a better choice

The one in use is the bi-metal handle (insulated) style .... it is a much later design

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »
Okay, here's what I found:

Crazy Crow has a 6 1/2" x 1 1/4" deep skillet with a very short hollow handle so you can put a stick in it to make it longer.

They also have 9" folding handle skillet.

Worth Point has a 6 1/8" x 1 1/2" with a spiral rod handle to add a stick handle.

Panther Primitive has a 9" x 5 1/4" and a 6 1/2" x  3 1/4", both with folding handles.

I'd personally opt for the smaller Panther model...and probably will buy one myself.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
I don't have a current catalog but you could try Jas. Townsend they might have something.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
I've picked up several of the small ones with non-folding handles at garage sales and thrift stores over the years.  No I don't have one now, I pass them on to Civil War ren-actors.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
Spent most of the afternoon seasoning my castiron cook -ware.Getting ready to outfit my pre. 1900 camp. Trying to get everything setup period camp style . Havesome hunters in early spring for a Vintage hunt,including camp and mules for transportation. We try to make it feel like a old time hunt. Lots of fun. Would like to post some pics. When all set up and ask for some pointers from some of you guys that know what is period correct Thanks . Dusty.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Dusty
That sounds great .We all love the Hunting , but the sitting around the fire time is Excellent . Sounds like your plan is for the Hunter to actually live the dream .

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
Dusty,
Would love to see the pics when you get em.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com