Author Topic: Win 97 shotgun barrel question  (Read 5635 times)

Offline Samcro

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Win 97 shotgun barrel question
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »
I have been looking around on the auction sites and most are 28 to 32 inch barrels. Do you just find one in good shape and cut the barrel to whatever your preference is?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Win 97 shotgun barrel question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:40:19 AM »
Yes.  Very few original 97's had short barrels.  Most of the short barrels were trench guns and they are fairly pricey collector's items.  Virtually all of the 97's used for CAS have had their barrels shortened.  The most popular length is between 18 and 20 inches.

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
I have two 97s and both of the barels are long.  If you would like a short barrel I would look around and find an orphan barrel and shorten that one.  That way you would not be modifying your gun.  However, it is your gun and you can shorten it if you want.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:12 AM »

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »
Just rmember that the choke on  shotgun barrel is located about three inches or so back from th muzzle. If you cut a 30" barrel down to 20" you have no more choke, or a cylander bore shotgun. For CAS shooting, at ranges that are not muh more than point blank. they work out real well, but at range beyond ten yards, the patern is spread out so much that they aren't very effective.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »
If a barrel is cut to 20", you can get a very good pattern by backboring and still have a wide pattern. I have lengthened the forcing cone and backbored some doubles and 97s (and my 97s) leaving about 3-4" of cylinder bore and it serves as a light choke.

The ID of a 12 gauge is .729" and I backbore to .742. The wad will expand to the .742 and be forced by the slight "choke" to conform back to a .729 cylinder bore. Done properly, the shotgun will take down most normal knockdowns up to 15-20  yards.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
Red Cent, All true, lengthening the forcing cone is  good idea on the 97. Doing this will improve paterns and back boring will give you a jug choke effect tightening up th pattern somewhat. But, if you are going to go to all that trouble, why not just install an internal choke at the bore end of the barrel? It's one opertion and you will have the capablity to change cokes. Brownells has a passel of them: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10266/k=/t=P/Products/Choke-Tubes-Accessories
A reputable gunsmith should be able to install it fo you for you for under $100.00
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
Red Cent, All true, lengthening the forcing cone is  good idea on the 97. Doing this will improve paterns and back boring will give you a jug choke effect tightening up th pattern somewhat. But, if you are going to go to all that trouble, why not just install an internal choke at the bore end of the barrel? It's one opertion and you will have the capablity to change cokes. Brownells has a passel of them: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10266/k=/t=P/Products/Choke-Tubes-Accessories
A reputable gunsmith should be able to install it fo you for you for under $100.00

My 'smith put a "Thinwall" choke in my 1908 vintage '97.  Just used the one Imp/Cyl that came with the job.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
A HUNERD BUCKS!!  kidding:)

You probably know the long cone and the backbore will reduce felt recoil. And I have the reamers. The backbore takes a little time and the forcing cone is easy and littletime.

I have lengthened the cone, backbored until, maybe, 6-8 inches from muzzle, and then came in from the front with a backbore reamer for about 4-6 inches. The weird thing is the pattern will not expand much at all until after 30 yards. With careful aim and knowing the pattern, I have taken them down at about 40 yards.

Side note: I recently "redone" a 97 for a friend. He brought it to me in three sections. Stock and receiver with the guts. Barrel and receiver extension, and the mag tube and slide assy. Barrel was 28" but the last 4 inches looked to be .410 size. Turkey shoot gun?
SASS29170L

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
Sir Charles, at SASS distances, an 18.5" barrel that was sawed off and let be will take any knock down out. Depends on your shotgun round. With my reamed out guns, I load a devastating  ;D 12gr of American Select and an ounce of shot. Probably around 800fps. It has taken down all targets from EOT, SE regional, NE Regional, and every state match from WV to Florida (included). The shot column is long and kinda tight.

SASS29170L

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »
Red Cent;  I see you have seen the light.  Lower pressure = tighter patterns.  larger shot = tighter patterns.  Careful about range and club limits on shot size!

I put in the choke to provide a more versatile shotgun.  If I need more choke for hunting, I have it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
Gentlepersons -

As RedCent and Sir C have pointed out:  Lower pressure = tighter patterns.  larger shot = tighter patterns. 

If one is (shall we say) "stuck" with a cylinder bore and is a cheapskate like myself of modest means, one can improve the pattern using  the time-honored methods of the muzzle-loading crowd -

One can also tighten patterns by experimenting with buffering media, and shotcups.

A number of folks use scotch tape (on the inside of the cup) to hold the cup petals together for a longer time, achieving tighter patterns.

Many muzzleloaders have created their own paper shotcups utiliizing everything from newsprint, to typewriter paper, to bond, and even the appropriate size paper coin rolls. As always, test carefully, tuning will be required and  YMMV, but as the man in the box o' truth says
"shooting is fun"

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com