Author Topic: stoeger coach gun questions  (Read 21401 times)

Offline Buster95

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
stoeger coach gun questions
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
I'm interested in a stoeger coach gun 12GA and I would like to know if the gun have pot metal parts (trigger guard, forend iron, etc...)?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: stoeger coach gun questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
Trigger guard.  Sheet metal on the old ones, cast aluminum on the newer ones.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »
Buster, which model are you looking at?

There are things to consider.

Rick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:07 PM »

Offline Buster95

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
Buster, which model are you looking at?

There are things to consider.

Rick

# 31400  blue/walnut

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
If you pay about $50 more, you can get a "Supreme" version (31483) that comes with a decent rubber butt pad already installed, screw-in chokes, and also a stainless steel receiver (corrosion resistant if you plan to shoot BP).

You will most likely want a rubber butt pad anyway to save wear and tear on your shoulder. The $50 difference to get a rubber butt pad already installed is a fair price, and the stainless receiver and screw-in chokes are an almost free plus.

The screw-in chokes are the same as what are used on most models of Mossberg, so you can swap them out for anything you wish for about $20 each in stainless steel.

Rick

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
The Supreme isn't a coach gun.  If you cut the barrels to 20" you've wasted that extra money.  For SASS/CAS shotgun distances chokes aren't needed anyway.  If you are buying it for CAS and hunting then it becomes suitable for neither.

Offline Buster95

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »
I prefer the one without screw-in chokes. Thank you  ;)

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
Pettifogger, I'm trying to understand what you mean by "The Supreme isn't a coach gun."

Both the 31400 and the 31483 come with 20 " barrels fro the factory. No cutting needed.

The biggest difference between them from a functional point of view is the factory installation of a rubber butt pad. There is no "drop-in" replacement pad available for the Stoeger, so $50 buys both the pad and the avoidance of grinding a generic one to fit.

The more expensive model has chokes as well, but they are bored into the barrel rather than replaceable, and they are not identical in the left verses the right. By getting the $50 more expensive version, you not only get the rubber pad, but also the option to mess with the chokes and make them both the same if you wish to as an added bonus. You can also choose to ignore them if you wish.

The stainless receiver option is also an added bonus.

On top of that, the wood is a bit better on the $50 more expensive "Supreme" model.

You get a lot for only $50 more.

Rick

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
Rick, you are correct.  I haven't looked at their website for a while.  Looks like they now have many more models of the "coach" gun.  People around here still buy the regular old blue coach gun.  You can get them from Dick's and they are frequently on sale for a really good price.  I've never seen the other Supreme models at any local stores.   :o

What to see something neat?  On the top is a stock Stoeger.  HEAVY opening spring and a long lever throw for it to open.  After a little machining and welding on the bottom is a tricked out competition model.  Light opening spring and a short throw to open.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
Dicks is capable of special ordering the Supreme versions as they are a stocking Stoeger dealer.

You need to find a local stocking dealer as Stoeger's are all factory direct only to FFL's that have to buy a minimum buy once a year.  They don't sell them thru normal whole-sellers.

There is dealer locator on Stoeger's web site.

I made all the arrangements when I bough mine via internet last year, with a phone call just to give the guy a credit card number. I showed him all my needed paperwork when I went to pick them up when they came in. Try emailing or calling several local dealers off the dealer locator and see who will give you a good price would be my recommendation.  I paid $400 each - $100 off list price. The list price hasn't changed, so I assume that $400 would still be a reasonable street price.

Rick

Offline reggie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
I'm interested in a stoeger coach gun 12GA and I would like to know if the gun have pot metal parts (trigger guard, forend iron, etc...)?

I have a Coachgun Supreme. It is one of my favorites!

Offline G W Wade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
where can i find more info on short lever throw onm stoeger
the smell of gunpowder in the morning

Offline AC Orange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
If you pay about $50 more, you can get a "Supreme" version (31483) that comes with a decent rubber butt pad already installed, screw-in chokes, and also a stainless steel receiver (corrosion resistant if you plan to shoot BP).

You will most likely want a rubber butt pad anyway to save wear and tear on your shoulder. The $50 difference to get a rubber butt pad already installed is a fair price, and the stainless receiver and screw-in chokes are an almost free plus.

The screw-in chokes are the same as what are used on most models of Mossberg, so you can swap them out for anything you wish for about $20 each in stainless steel.

Rick

Well, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Stoeger Coach myself. After reading the posts in this thread, I'm thinking the "Supreme" version will be my choice. The stainless receiver and screw-in chokes would make it perfect for my use.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:38:29 AM »
AC Orange,

The stainless receiver version looks really cool.

About the only work I did to my pair of them was polish the chambers with an abrasive ball hone I got from Brownells. I have some aftermarket firing pins for them but have yet to install them.  I also replaced the choke tubes with a pair of I.C. stainless tubes from Carlson's.

Having had both variations, I would personally recommend the double trigger version over the single trigger version.  There are those that the single trigger version work out for, but I was not one of them.

Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com