Author Topic: Stevens 335 SxS Double 12-What's the 'Skinney'?  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Stevens 335 SxS Double 12-What's the 'Skinney'?
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
I recently bought a Stevens 335 SxS Double 12. According to the receiver info which is "J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co." Model 335, the piece was made sometime between 1910-1916 before Stevens geared up for WW 1 arms production and before Savage purchased them sometime around 1920 or so. The ol' girl locks up tighter than a tick on ya. Metal finish is good, no rust, stock beautifull cond, except for a small crack by the tang. Barrels have been sawed off to 20.5", but were done professionally, both interior conditions are shinney(left has one small dark shadow, but no pitting. Got a good deal on it from what it should be worth due to barrel saw-off. According to gun value books, Stevens made a early and a late model, I don't know how you tell the difference, anyway as far as this writing. Only glich is that the left barrel has a broken firing pin. The seller from the gun show will refund my purchase price or pay for the part/parts/labor to get her in firing condition. Numrich was out of stock on the pins, but 'Jack First' out of South Dakota has newly manufacturered ones that I am told are better than the originals.
  I know this SxS was made after 1900 (ie, not period correct for 1800 ), but other than the firing pin problem, the gun is miles above any of the reproductions on the market today in quality and workmanship. Alot of what I've seen is pure junk, I won't own or shoot junk-period, don't care what the gun Nazi's say. Question----anyone have expierence or knowledge on the Model 335, which also morphed into the Models 355, 365, 375, and 385. Each of the succeeding models were same as the 335 except they had varying degrees of wood quality, checkering, engraving, etc (this is what as least I understand about the models, best to my knowledge as to what I read-shotgun history isnot one of my bigger interests or knowledge).
Any input would be appreciated. Was told by a gun dealer I know that I paid a good price for it.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Stevens 335 SxS Double 12-What's the 'Skinney'?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »
I bought one off of Gunbroker several months ago.  What a solid shotgun!  Mine is all original, 30" barrels and there is no way they will be shortened!  The barrels drop open with a flick of the lever and snap shut tighter than a crab's a_ _.  Hammer  springs are strong and do require a little muscle, but I'm not fast anyway.  Metal has a nice blue/brown patina - not much color case hardening on the receiver.  I refinished the stock ... no cracks.  Just a nice old made in the USA shotgun I am not ashamed to say I paid $350.  Originally solid utility shotguns built like tanks. 

Good luck with yours.

MJJ

Advertising

Re: Stevens 335 SxS Double 12-What's the 'Skinney'?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:07:43 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com