Author Topic: Problems with "NEW" 1873 Uberti 18" Half Oct .357 Rifle  (Read 3884 times)

Offline hbb8044

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Problems with "NEW" 1873 Uberti 18" Half Oct .357 Rifle
« on: September 02, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »
I've been lurking here for quite some time now getting educated and I'm just trying to get started in CAS once I obtain the guns required.  I'm not off to a good start. >:( After waiting 6 months to finally find an 18" Uberti in .357/.38, I've been snake bit :'(.  I took it out for the first time today and had a failure to eject (FTE) on round number 91.  I had ran 50 rounds of .357 and 40 rounds of .38 without any issues whatsoever, and then on round 91, which was .38, FTE.  Examining closer I found that the tab on the bottom of the breech block was sheared off and the brass carrier had a slight gouge on each side where it starts to neck down on top.  This is a completely stock non-modified Uberti.  Has anyone seen this before on a gun that hasn't been short stroked???  More importantly, what could have caused the tab on the breech block to shear off??? :( :( :(  I had planned on getting an action job, springs, short stroke kit, etc., but now it looks like I need to send it back to Uberti just to figure out why I had this failure before I void the warranty.  Has anyone dealt with Uberti's service department and warranty?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm even wondering if I should just send it to the shop where I had planned to do all the work to see if they could figure out what happened and change the breech block.  I just don't think I should have to incur that cost since this gun has 91 rounds through it and a week old.  Thoughts please.

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Problems with "NEW" 1873 Uberti 18" Half Oct .357 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:47:01 AM »
 I can't help you with this problem, but I have had dealings with Uberti's service department. They took care of the issue with my rifle very quickly and without any aggravation.   

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
Timing is off. You bolt is not retracting in time to allow space for the elevator to raise into position. The elevator has broken off the tab and the bolt has marked the top of the elevator. Did you buy it NITB or is it a used one? Unusual that the timing would be so far off on a standard one as there is normally alot of room timing wise. Sounds more like a problem a short stroked rifle with an improperly timed set up would do. Easy to fix if you know the mechanics of the 1873 system and have a few spare parts.

cal44walker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:38:20 PM »

Offline hbb8044

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
It was purchased NITB.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk