Author Topic: Polishing 1866 brass  (Read 4803 times)

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Polishing 1866 brass
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »
Greetings all!  My first post here.

So I got bit by a long-dormant but life-long bug to own a Winchester lever action.  I always thought it would be a '94 but a couple months ago I stumbled through the internet and found out I could actually obtain affordable reproductions of the earlier models which I find beautiful.

In the past 2 months I've now bought a Uberti Yellowboy, a Uberti 1876, and a Browning 1886.  Still looking to fill the 1873 gap when the right one comes along.

I just can't stop looking at my Yellowboy it's so beautiful.  I would like to keep the brass shiny for at least the time being and so here is my newbie question:
- Is there a particular brand of polish anyone recommends to keep it looking brand new?  Is good ole Brasso just fine?
Thanks.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Polishing 1866 brass
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
'Simichrome' or 'Wenol' - two very similar polishes that will leave a protective coating behind, to help keep tarnish at bay.

You can find it at motorcycle shops and in antique stores.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
In addition, often there was a coat of clear lacquer applied to help seal the surface so that it slowed tarnishing. You might have to remove the lacquer before polishing in order to achieve best results.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:08:23 PM »

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I'll try out the simichrome.  I have a brass lamp I can experiment on first. :)
I was able to contact Cimarron yesterday and they stated that Brasso or Flitz was acceptable, too.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
Anyone ever tried neverdull?  I have used the heck out of it over the years in the fire dept polishing fire trucks, diamondplate etc. 
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 05:32:10 PM »
If your '66 has charcoal blue screws, keep in mind that some or all of the polishes listed (I know flitz will do it) will take the blue right off the exposed screw heads and ends very quickly, leaving you with silver screws.  If you want them to stay blue, polish around them or remove the sideplates and polish them off the gun.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
If your '66 has charcoal blue screws, keep in mind that some or all of the polishes listed (I know flitz will do it) will take the blue right off the exposed screw heads and ends very quickly, leaving you with silver screws.  If you want them to stay blue, polish around them or remove the sideplates and polish them off the gun.

Thanks for the advice.
I ended up buying a Flitz liquid from Cabelas.
I'll see how it ages with just an oil down for a while and then look at using the Flitz.  I'll still try it out on my lamp first.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com