Author Topic: Win 97 Binding When Cycling the Action  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Smuggler Steve

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Win 97 Binding When Cycling the Action
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
I have a Winchester 1897 made in '33. It is tight and works well but there is one issue. When I start to pull the pump back it takes a lot of muscle. As soon as it starts moving it is nice and slick. I've detail stripped it and don't see anything like a burr. Both extractors seem fine.

I've soaked and scrubbed all the parts and the inside in solvent to make sure there was no gunk but it is pretty clean inside.

This is the two part version but it seems to lock up fine.

Steve

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Win 97 Binding When Cycling the Action
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:42 PM »
Is this a takedown model? If so, check the juntion of the magazie tube with the action. If thre is a misalignmnt there the shell can hang up on the exposed edge of the action until you put enough force on it to cause it  to ride up over that edge. Just opnen th action, with the magazine unloaded o course, and push the follower forward  little and fel with your finger for any mislaignment. Also, If you have a dumy round, it's pretty easy to see into the action while working th pump to see any hang up.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Smuggler Steve

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »
I think that is it. I don't have enough strength to swing it in as far as it needs to go. I tapped it a few times with a rubber mallet as I swung the barrel in and then locked it and it cycles fine. It locked up fine and looked okay when done by hand but the mallet seemed to move it a thousandth of so. I could feel it but not see it.

I'm thinking of selling it and believe in being absolutely honest in describing it. I don't do many matches any more with a bum knee & back and I use a slicked up '87 now. I don't think this had even been out of the safe in over 5 years.

Steve

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:27 PM »

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Sent ya a Personal Message Pard...  ;)
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com