Author Topic: 73 carrier  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
73 carrier
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
  Hey All, does anyone know if an original 32-20 carrier would fit in a Uberti 32 ? 'Precciate the help and knowledge! BB

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 73 carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
I tried an Uberti extractor in an original and it didn't work. You can find original carriers on GunBroker.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
  Hey All, does anyone know if an original 32-20 carrier would fit in a Uberti 32 ? 'Precciate the help and knowledge! BB

Nope.  The Winchester .32-20 used a bolt and carrier designed for the .32-20.  Uberti makes bolts and carriers for the .44/.45 and the .38/.357.  When they built the .32-20 they fudged and used the .357 bolt and carrier for the .32-20.  The .357 bolt and carrier are a little large for the .32-20 and some work well and some don't.  A Uberti .357 bolt is to large for an original .32-20 carrier.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:03:01 PM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »
Bonesteel, there appear to be a number of 32-20s being parted out lately, shouldn't be too hard to find between Gunbroker or EBay.

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
Thanks for the help guys! Pettifogger, Uberti's fudging is what has sent me in search of original 32 sized parts in the first place. :-[ Oh well I'll keep trying to get this reconciled. This is starting to turn into a ah challenge of sorts. :o

Offline cal44walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »
What issues are you having with the 32wcf? I've got an Uberti Sporting rifle in 32-20 that I've got working well with a few mods. Great caliber to shoot so I stuck with it and seemed to have ironed out any issues.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
What issues are you having with the 32wcf? I've got an Uberti Sporting rifle in 32-20 that I've got working well with a few mods. Great caliber to shoot so I stuck with it and seemed to have ironed out any issues.

They seem to work well or very poorly.  The biggest issues are the cartridge is to small in diameter for the carrier so it can sit at a diagonal in the carrier.  Some rifles don't have enough bevel above the back of the carrier and the rim on a crossways round can hang up when the carrier starts to rise jamming the rifle.  A more common problem is that when you are loading the rounds they have enough slop inside the carrier that the bullet can get wedged between the mag tube and the side of the receiver and prevent more rounds being loaded until you can straighten the offending round and get everything lined up so the next round will load.  When you have eight or nine rounds loaded sometimes getting everything straightened out with all the spring pressure pushing on the rounds can be a real pain at the loading table.

Bonesteel.  What I did one time as an experiment was to turn the bolt down to the proper diameter.  This then required making a new guide for the bottom of the bolt and modifying the extractor.  Next, I reamed the inside of the carrier to a uniform size and soldered in a brass sleeve.  Then I machined the new sleeve to the proper size.  Worked OK, but not worth the effort of doing another one since, as 44walker notes, with a few mods you can get them reasonably reliable.

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
 Pettifogger and cal44walker could you please enlighten me on some of these mods perhaps? I bought an original carrier and bolt on Gunbroker. The carrier is really nothing like the Uberti. No loading gate cut from the side and the front ramp is much smaller and of course the I.D. being smalleras well. Thanks Again gents, BB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com