Author Topic: Whitney-Kennedy .45-60 carbine  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Mannheim Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Whitney-Kennedy .45-60 carbine
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
  Howdy.

A dealer over here (They are in the Netherlands) has a Whitney-Kennedy in fair condition.  It appears to be a carbine that has had the magazine shortened.  I am far from an expert in these guns.  I was curious what y'all figured it might be worth.  The bore is described as having good rifling, but not shiny.

If this is not the appropriate place to discuss, please point me to the right forum.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
Re: Whitney-Kennedy .45-60 carbine
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
Kennedy carbines are rare birds. That is a good looking one as these go, they all seem to have all led hard lives. It's probably worth every bit of 2000 euro, maybe more. If you want to shoot it, ammo is easy to make from 45-70 cases. Technically, the rims are a little thinner on 45-60s, but my Withney Kennedy rifle has no problem with the thicker rims. If the bore is a little rough, it will probably like heavier bullets, in the 405 to 430 grain range. The action is stronger than a Winchester 76, but not as strong as an 86.

Offline Mannheim Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »

I took a look at it and it seems to be in good mechanical condition.  The bore is rough, but has rifling.  No finish on the action or barrel, light pitting.  The magazine was shortened and the muzzle band is missing.  Is that fixable?

Thanks for the advice!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:33:04 PM »

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »

Even more rare are the smaller caliber offerings in the Whitney Kennedy carbines. This one would set you back around $7000.00

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »
The magazine and barrel band are going to be really hard to fix. Parts are almost impossible to find these days. You can make the stock (or have someone like Dunlap do it), but the metal parts are tough. You might try Terry Kirkpatrick at Va. Antique Gun Parts. I got a 44-40 Kennedy mag tube from him several years ago. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com