Author Topic: I didn't know I needed that!!  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I didn't know I needed that!!
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:59 AM »
Guys, play a little game with a greenhorn who is trying to prepare for his first cowboy style 'Long Range' match.  You have your gun and you have your ammo, what else needs to go into the car before leaving for the match?  There are a few items that I know about BUT am actually not sure of the specifics concerning them, shooting stix or the cute little shooters stools.  I am thinking you guys take a piece of canvas or some such to lay on and surround yourself with the days shooting necessities, what will those items be and, if complicated, please put it in a way that the beginner can understand it.  Just pretend that I am writing a book and wanting to steal yore ideas!

Back to those stix and stools, are the stix necessary in multiple lengths fer laying, sitting and standing?  Who has the good ones?  I am guessing the little three legged stools are fer the sitting position and who makes a good one fer the bigger guys?  Thanks a bunch for any help or answers provided.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: I didn't know I needed that!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
Guys, play a little game with a greenhorn who is trying to prepare for his first cowboy style match.  You have your gun and you have your ammo, what else needs to go into the car before leaving for the match?  There are a few items that I know about BUT am actually not sure of the specifics concerning them, shooting stix or the cute little shooters stools.  I am thinking you guys take a piece of canvas or some such to lay on and surround yourself with the days shooting necessities, what will those items be and, if complicated, please put it in a way that the beginner can understand it.  Just pretend that I am writing a book and wanting to steal yore ideas!

Back to those stix and stools, are the stix necessary in multiple lengths fer laying, sitting and standing?  Who has the good ones?  I am guessing the little three legged stools are fer the sitting position and who makes a good one fer the bigger guys?  Thanks a bunch for any help or answers provided.

Hi,

Someone had a  very good and detailed Checklist for going to SASS shoots ... I did searches for Checklist, checklist, and check list and got nothing. Perhaps your experience will be better .....

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
 This the one?  

Cowboy Action Shooting
Pre-Match Preparation Checklist

Firearms      Vehicle
      Pistol One   S/N               Gun Cases
      Pistol Two   S/N               Gun Locks with Keys (Optional)
      Rifle   S/N               Cash
      Shotgun   S/N               Checkbook (Optional)

Gun Cart      Clothing
      Ammo (Vary Amounts For Match)            Hat
      100 Rounds Pistol            Shirt/Blouse
      100 Rounds Rifle            Pants/Skirt
        50 Rounds Shotgun            Boots/Brogans/Shoes
      Empty Hull/Brass Bag            Socks
      Sun Umbrella            Gloves
      Folding Chair/Stool            Gun Leather
      Notepad with Pen and/or Black Marker            Gun Belt
      Camera, Disposable or Digital (Optional)            Holster 1
      Towels/Baby Wipes            Holster 2
      Food/Snacks            Pistol Ammo Slide (Optional)
      Water Bottle/Drinks            Shotgun Ammo Slide (Optional)
      Sunblock/Insect Repellent            Shotgun Ammo Belt (Optional)
      First Aid Kit/Snake Bit Kit            Prescription Eyeglasses (If Needed)
      Band Aids            Bandanna/Neckerchief (Optional)
      Burn Lotion            Suspenders (Optional)
      Compress Bandage            Leggings (Optional)
      Gauze Tape            Knife (Optional)
      Sunglasses (Optional)            Pocket Watch (Optional)
      Trash Bag/Gun Covers            SASS Badge/SBSS Badge (Optional)
      Gun Cleaning Kit/Armorer’s Kit            Coat/Raingear (Based on Weather)
      Rags/Patches      
      Bore Solvent/Lead Solvent      Optional Personal Items
      Bore Brush (Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun)               
      Cleaning Rod with Caliber Adapters               
      Screwdriver Set/Leatherman Tool               
      Brass Hammer               
      Center Punch Set/Hex Wrench Set               
      Shooting Bag/Carry-All Bag               
      Eye Protection               
      Hearing Protection               

This checklist is by no means complete or all encompassing. It should be altered by anyone to meet one’s personal needs. The author neither takes nor accepts any responsibility for any actions or events resulting from using this checklist while preparing one’s gear to attend a Cowboy Action Shooting Match.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:31:54 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Great list, got a cut and paste on it and will use it in the future to help prop up my questionable memory.

Went back and made a slight tweak to my orriginal post to make this about BROW.  I hope to be shooting two guns in the near future, a Perdersoli Sharps and a Uberti '76 Win.  Thinking the '76 style guns would not use much in the way of support gear but aren't there a lot of accessories normally used for the single shot BROW matches??  I luv accessories and particularly those that I can make!   

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »
Great list, got a cut and paste on it and will use it in the future to help prop up my questionable memory.

Went back and made a slight tweak to my orriginal post to make this about BROW.  I hope to be shooting two guns in the near future, a Perdersoli Sharps and a Uberti '76 Win.  Thinking the '76 style guns would not use much in the way of support gear but aren't there a lot of accessories normally used for the single shot BROW matches??  I luv accessories and particularly those that I can make!   

You'll want to tweak the list as you go along, too.  There's always something you need or something you do that needs to be included and several things you can ignore.

We need to find who authored this originally and thank him /her.  It's a classic.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »
I believe the author was David L. Velleux. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:10:33 AM »
These are some really nice looking stix, though with a modern style look. http://www.catshootingsticks.com/ 

How would a piece cut from a painters canvas drop cloth work as a shooting blanket.  Would be cheap enough fer sure and I am not to sure that it wouldn't be somewhat realistic to the period?

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
I believe the author was David L. Velleux. WM
He's somewhat active here on CAS City as Capt. Barrett
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 04:51:40 AM »
I have a copy that I print off but it would not copy to the post on here. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dynamite Bill

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
a blowtube if shooting black powder. mine is a piece of bamboo with a piece of copper tubing curved to allow it to fit the chamber and allow the shooter to exhale easily into it while laying prone, it also works fine sitting or standing. the tubing is epoxied into the bamboo, & the bamboo is coated with a clear sealer to prevent little tiny splinters from getting into your mouth. i picked up a $15.00 blanket at a Mexican restuarant. a cartridge belt for the big bores also is handy. from my on experience if you forget something somebody will step up and help you out, as I am sure you would also. good luck & have fun!
The main thing to remember,is not to get excited!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »
I have a copy that I print off but it would not copy to the post on here. WM

I have that list printed off somewhere.  It was available about 3 years ago, can't recall where.  Could you save it as pdf or sumppin computer-like and then attach it?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »
I will try. WM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com