Author Topic: '73 trigger part fit problem  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'73 trigger part fit problem
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »
Guys, some time back I picked up an older rough looking Uberti 73 that had had a lot of work performed on it BUT also had a broke part or two and removal of several features that I wanted to replace.  I think this was perhaps an early Cody Conagher rifle but, I had reached the point that the only parts that needed replacing was a missing lever latch (now done), dust cover and the lever/trigger block  safety.  The lever/trigger block is where my problem lies and I do not feel comfortable with shooting the gun in matches without this feature.  I ordered the pin and the safety block from VTI while the (improved coil) spring was ordered from Hap.  After installation of parts, the trigger is not getting blocked and its not even close.  Is it possible that the trigger part dimensions have been changed over the years?   The lever block part fits, functions and protrudes in the frame cuts perfectly.  Otherwise would there have been any reason or practice involved that would cause someone to remove metal from the back of the trigger where the block should have engaged?  The amount by which this is coming up short of engagement is to much to be simple wear.  My thought fer a quick easy fix is perhaps have someone solder a shim to the back of the trigger and file to fit but is this workable????  This rifle has a super nice action and is compatible with my newer CC or Jimmy Spurs '73s and I do not want to lose that now that the gun is so close to finished. 

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: '73 trigger part fit problem
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
Have you replaced the trigger and sear?  On a lot of action jobs the smith takes out the trigger safety and then welds the sear to the trigger to make it one piece.

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
I replaced the trigger safety spring on my Uberti Winchester 1873. The rifle was produced in 1996.
I had to put the rifle together to be sure it was working properly.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:31:40 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
I will try to take the rifle apart again within the next few days and possibly take pictures of the parts in question.  Do not know if there is a source for year of manufacture by ser # but I will ask around for such.  I did not want to replace the trigger unless as a last resort as a few simple parts has the gun firing and the action has not suffered in the process but I am passing my limit of ability.  This eighth inch of space is really throwing out a roadblock but I do want that safety feature back.   

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
When you take it apart also check to make sure the trigger leaf spring hasn't slipped under the trigger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com