Author Topic: .38 Colt 'Lightning'  (Read 8110 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.38 Colt 'Lightning'
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:36:53 PM »
I've had a nickle plated .38 Colt 'Lightning' revolver for years and I finally got around to shooting it today. It came to me with a junk barrel made from a cut down Mauser (!) barrel and it was plugged on top of that. I had it replaced with a modern Colt 4" .357 barrel, plated to match the rest of the gun. You have to look close to see the difference.

I cut down some .38 Spl. cases to 1.010" and loaded them with 12 grs fffg/130 gr RNFP. The bullets were commercial hard cast and lubed with smokeless lube. I wasn't expecting much accuracy, but was pleasantly surprised.

At 12 yds with a one paw hold, it put 5 rounds into 1", 1-1/2" below point of aim! It had all the smoke and noise I could hope for.

Question: I've been told that it would be better to shoot it in DA mode rather than SA. This is contrary to 'common knowledge', the word being that the 1877 Colt DA isn't all that durable.

What's the truth?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .38 Colt 'Lightning'
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 10:00:26 PM »
Question: I've been told that it would be better to shoot it in DA mode rather than SA. This is contrary to 'common knowledge', the word being that the 1877 Colt DA isn't all that durable.

What's the truth?
[/quote]

A gunsmith familiar with these pistols just recently told me the same thing. I don't remember the details behind it but the implication was that in DA mode there was less chance of things getting messed up. I have no personal experience with these pistols, but wouldn't mind getting one some day. They seem like neat guns.
 It sounds like your gun shot pretty good. If you get a chance, post some pictures of it. It's always nice to see the old stuff.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:54 PM »
Back in the '80s I had a friend who was a Constable in Galveston County Texas. He carried a Lightning for awhile and liked it. He had a tough time finding factory ammo so switched to a .44 Spl.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:09:15 AM »

Offline The Connemara Kid

• Citizen
    • www.mikesearson.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
I picked one up last month for a steal!
I had been wanting one for almost 20 years (since Tombstone came out), but everything in my price range was either a rust bucket, parts gun or wallhanger.

I found one in nice shape, made in 1891 (80 serial numbers removed from John Wesley Hardin's) and under $600 as a bonus!
Shoots much nicer than I expected, Almost like the follow up shots after the first one feel lighter.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
Good lookin' Lightning.  Has that hammer been bobbed a bit?

Offline The Connemara Kid

• Citizen
    • www.mikesearson.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »
Good lookin' Lightning.  Has that hammer been bobbed a bit?
Yeah, I suspect it happened sometime in the past 120 years for pocket carry, whomever did it, did a pretty good job.
Can't tell from the photos but the triggr has a nice fire blue colr on the back, too

Offline HKUriah

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »
I've got one, and I have fired it both SA and DA mode many times.   As long as you don't try to run it hard, you should be okay.

But, I will say, stick to light loads with it.   I usually run .38 Short Colt in mine, make for a very light loading.  Have done Longs in it too, and it handles them fine, but given the age, I like to baby the thing.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
I have a friend who does some 'smithing. When I want to pull his chain, I threaten to send him a boxcar full of Lightnings "that just need a little work"!  :o ::) :P  In other words, the M1877 is a gunsmith's nightmare when they get out of order...which is not that hard to do.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
Unless one has spares and the knowledge and skills to repair them - they shouldn't try to 'run' the Lightning at all - they weren't built for 'shoot-fast'.

Not everything has to be some sort of a competition

They're fine for casual shooting, and double action seems the be the best way to get the most use out of their fragile springs, but shooting double action one-handed is a practiced skill, since you can't 'stage' the shot like you can with a Smith & Wesson.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
I have had a couple of them. Like a dummy I sold the Lightning that actually worked. The other one "needed a little tuning". Well....now it does work DA, but not SA. Sooner or later I'll send it to an expert.

Early ones have .375" barrels, but the post 20th century ones have .357" bores. When mine does shoot, it works very well with 150 grain RN bullets deep seated in 38 special cases. 

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
I recently got a lightning, it was made in 1888 and has the larger bore. I shot it with hollow base bullets (speer) and have
heeled bullets on order, any thoughts of which one works works better?

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
I recently picked one up of GB, a parts gun really, but both the chambers and bore had been sleeved for 22lr and all looked good to go, which intrigued me. I refurbish antique SA revolvers as a sideline but have never worked on a 1877. My plan is to make it single action only and eliminate most all of the finikeyness, I can post pic's as I go if anyones interested. Also, any tips would be appreciated, this being my "maiden voyage" with a 77'.

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
I have had a couple of them. Like a dummy I sold the Lightning that actually worked. The other one "needed a little tuning". Well....now it does work DA, but not SA. Sooner or later I'll send it to an expert.

Early ones have .375" barrels, but the post 20th century ones have .357" bores. When mine does shoot, it works very well with 150 grain RN bullets deep seated in 38 special cases. 

I have 2 Thunderers & 3 Lightnings.
1 Lightning made in 1886 and the other 2 in 1903.  The 2 made in '03 still have .375 bores, a .358 bullet will drop all the way to the cylinder from the muzzle end.
They all shoot pretty good with hollow base bullets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com