Author Topic: Who has a Percussion Pistol Kit that is "Okayed" by the Plainsmen Society?  (Read 16439 times)

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Howdy!
 Check out the muzzleloading forum classifieds as mentioned above; they have single shot pistols frequently coming up for sale, if you decide to pass on the CVA one currently listed.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/showcat.php/cat/9

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Since we are on the subject, I am finishing this one up. It isn't exactly a kit. The parts were leftovers and bought at gunshops up and down the east coast until they all came together a couple of weeks ago...
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Don't know if it's approved or not (In my case I don't care) but Dixie has a percussion .44 screw barrel pistol with a combination nipple and barrel wrench that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. 

The way they're made you don't need patched ball and it's impossible to over-charge one if you doit the way the gun is designed.  It's fast to load and has better velocity and range than a similar caliber gun with an identical powder charge, but the center hammer pretty much rules out any kind of sights.

Shouldn't be much of a challenge to rig a sash / belt hook for carrying.

I'll be getting one to go with my 'skinner rig as a pocket pistol back up sort of thing.  Probably carry it in the outside pocket of my shooting bag.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: Who has a Percussion Pistol Kit that is "Okayed" by the Plainsmen Society?
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
Wahoo!! (Update)

I was GIFTED this Lyman Great Plains pistol ... and it (I think) should work for both Sutter's Fort docenting and for (possibly) the
Plainsman Competitions ... and it had a buckhorm non adjustable site that I liked so well I got one for my Pedersoli Scout ....

And what makes it even neater is that it it a .50 cal ... which means it shoot the same .490 Ball as my Scout ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »
Well you have a fine pistol there. I was going to suggest the Lyman kit as well and show you one I did. You can make them differant as you like. I made this one into a half round barrel and put a pewter nose cap on it plus a little extra wood triming.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
That's a good looking pistol, Kent. It's amazing what a little creative thinking can accomplish.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 11:07:12 PM »
Kent Shootwell & Caleb Hobbs,

Thank you for the complements ... I have a small thing I have to do to it, but it is really nothing.

The pistol came with a clothing hook on the left side ... the idea being that it could be stored without putting the barrel end inside the pants ... a great idea but it has become very loose ... and when I tried to support it by the 'hook', it kept falling off my waist onto the ground ....

So the next step is to inlay something in the place where it bolted in ... someday .... in the mean time I'll shoot it!

TTFN,

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »
WaddWatsonEllis, When I carry with the belt hook I put the pistol inside the belt with the hook out. Better on a rough ride or general bar fighting ::)!
I believe I have a escutcheon for for the Lyman if you want it, I'd mail it if you like.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com