Author Topic: Stove pipe boots pale rider boots out of pants or tucked inside fit issues?  (Read 28757 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stove pipe boots pale rider boots out of pants or tucked inside fit issues?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »
Hi,

I have been watching this thread with interest ... hoping someone else would post this. Generally, boots made during the Civil War period (Artillery, Cavalryman's boots) were constructed with the one piece front (when boots were being made in large batches it made sense). Boots were usually square toe and fit both left or right feet ... it was breaking them in that made it a left or right foot. Mule Eared boots were common if not the norm.

However, boots that were more or less custom made in small shops towards the 1880s. That is when boot shanks became a bit 'snugger' ... and by request the 'cockroach killer' toes  became the norm, as they were easier to put in a stirrup ... in fact, square toes and mule ears on boots tended to be used by mule and ox wagon users, almost became theiir mark.

As has been noted, early boot with pants tucked in them was a sign of a cowboy ... the boots protected the pants (expensive to replace on $40.00/mo.), and pants tucked out of pants were more of a sign of a city slicker/fancy man/shootist.

IMHO ... any thoughts?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com