Author Topic: Tapering Shotshell  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Tapering Shotshell
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »
I found it on a other (German) forum and thought I'd share it with y'all, I never thought of it.  ???
After crimping the shotshell, run it through a RCBS 12 ga Cowboy Shotshell die with the taper insert.
Tried it myself and my reloaded shotshells (starcrimp back in place) have a nice taper.  ;D

PS
Equipment used: Lee Load All and RCBS Rockchucker (for the bigger die)
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tapering Shotshell
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:28:11 AM »
I do the same thing... works for me as well.  It makes those ugly 6 hexagon or octogon crimps quite round and then makes the nose of the hull noticeably pointy.

I use the MEC 600 JR. I believe the more expensive MEC presses have an additional die that tapers the end right on the press but the RCBS die does an awesome job all by itself.

Also, I pour some motor mica into my bag of wads. It coats the wads (like it is supposed to) and since the stuff tends to get everywhere when you handle the wads it winds up on the outside of the hulls as well, making them slide in and out of the gun easier.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
I do the same thing... works for me as well.  It makes those ugly 6 hexagon or octogon crimps quite round and then makes the nose of the hull noticeably pointy.

I use the MEC 600 JR. I believe the more expensive MEC presses have an additional die that tapers the end right on the press but the RCBS die does an awesome job all by itself.

Also, I pour some motor mica into my bag of wads. It coats the wads (like it is supposed to) and since the stuff tends to get everywhere when you handle the wads it winds up on the outside of the hulls as well, making them slide in and out of the gun easier.
What is that? Motor mica, I'm not familiar with it. Sounds like it would be somethin I would be interested in. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:54:14 AM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
Here ya go Wildman...

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Mica-Wad-Slick-can_8-oz/productinfo/MICA/

It comes under various names, but it is cool stuff...   I have always heard it called motor mica. I think they used to add it to engine oil a long time ago before they came up with more expensive "high tech" additives.

It's a dry, very slippery powder.

You can add it to smokeless bullet lube as well. If you use LEE tumble lube or other solvent based lube, after the lube is no longer sticky roll the bullets around on a waxed paper with some motor lube. 

Dave Corbin (the bullet swaging dude) sells it for that very purpose.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:26 AM »
Thank you very much.  ;D WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
When I got my reloading equipment long ago a tube of it about the size of an alumaseal tube came as part of the case prep kit.  Used to lube the inside of the case next to make the expander slide out easier.  Actually works but will get everywhere as previously stated.  Much easier to clean up than spilled shot as many of use have learned.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
  Much easier to clean up than spilled shot as many of use have learned.

Not my idea, I stole it from someone else, but my MEC is bolted to my bench with a shallow metal baking tray stuck between the press and the bench. It catches most of the stuff that doesn't go where it is supposed to go.

Rick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
The stuff works great on locks also.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com