Author Topic: Approved/Disapproved Question  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
Approved/Disapproved Question
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
Hey all,
I have a line on an old CVA Hawken in 54 caliber.   Too good of deal to pass up as I am horse trading for it.    Is it approved?  If not, what are the issues with these reproductions?  Can they be modified to be approved?

Thanks

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Approved/Disapproved Question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
As I recall, the CVA Hawkin does not really look like a Hawkin, but it is a good representation of a plains rifle.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
Hi, Mogorilla:

The CVA Hawken is on the disapproved lost. (The entire list, as it currently stands, can be found at the top of this board.)

This decision was made with the future of the group in mind -- what a Plainsmen Society encampment will look like ten years from now. Our goal is to achieve a higher level of authenticity than the traditional mountain man rendezvous, where such rifles, along with gold buckskins and pounds of beads, bangles and badges predominate. For the American Plainsmen Society, picture an encampment somewhere near Westport Landing, where men and women are readying their outfits for the big push across the frontier -- Santa Fe, back home to Texas, the Upper Missouri, the gold fields ...

Also picture songs around a campfire, good conversation, new friends, and challenging shooting matches.

Best regards,
Caleb

Disapproved List:

Rifles:  Any of the so called Hawken Rifles by TC, Dixie, Traditions, Lyman Trade/Deerstalker Rifle, et al.

Any modern in line muzzle loader.

Dixie Remington Revolving Carbine

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:50:15 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »
Hi Caleb and Books. Thanks for the replies.  I did read the approved/disapproved list and figured it was covered in the disapproved.   My next question is it possible to "Defarb" these?   I am taking the deal anyway but just crious if it can be made to be period correct?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
MO:

The barrel is a little on the short side on the CVA Hawken.  The sights would need to be changed.  The nose cap modified, the attachment method and the style of the thimbles would need to be changed as well.   The hammer is ugly.  The stock geometry is mostly modern if my memory serves.  I had a CVA mountain rifle back in the day.   A buddy and I poured a new nose cap, reshaped the comb of the stock and put a S & J Hawken style on her.  I carried that rifle for a few years and traded it in on a custom Hawken.   When we first started TAPS, Sacramento Johnson sent a link to a rifle that looks somewhat like the modern hawken but was real small caliber, you might use those pictures as a guide for changes.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
Caleb  or TJ

Did you set a Minimum  caliber for the rifle ? .... I asked because I have my hand made 36 Cal. you see in my avatar.
It's Flintlock ( Bucklee Lock , Green River barreled  half stock )
Furniture is brass....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »
Major: If it's a historical caliber, and not some odd-duck experiment, it's okay. No problem with your .36.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com