Author Topic: Breakfast Dutch Oven Gathering  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Breakfast Dutch Oven Gathering
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
I'm looking for a New Recipe to do at a Breakfast DOG. I want something different from B&G, Cinn Rolls, Mt.Man breakfast or baked french Toast. Anyone got any good breakfast Recipes to share with Me. I'm going to The 2'nd Annual Multi-State DOG at Kaw Lake in Okla July 13-15. Last year We hosted it here near Wichita,Ks. If you want more info about the DOG email Me. Wishbone. ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Breakfast Dutch Oven Gathering
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »
Do a sweet whole wheat Irish Soda bread with currants.  I did this at RCS and they went crazy over it.  If you need a recipe let me know.  I'll have to write it out, I dust mixed and dumped.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »
I will second that.  I make soda bread every year at St. PAts day and take it to work.  Took that week off this year as it was my wife's spring break and there was a small riot.  With some good butter, it can't be beat.  I have an oat/whole wheat version, will post tomorrow when I find it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:31:29 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:04:32 AM »

Whole Wheat Oat Soda Bread
INGREDIENTS
1 cup rolled oats
1 ½ cup boiling water
(combine oats and water and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes until cooled to room temperature)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
½  cup white sugar
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
5/8 cup butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 2-9 inch cake pans.
Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add buttermilk mixture and oat mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in butter. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for ~30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

I have not cooked this in a dutch oven, but do it in a cast iron skillet.   Really a moist dense bread.   Perfection with apple butter.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
 Perfection with apple butter.

At RCS this year we had apple butter that Liz made the day before in her copper pot.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »
 ;D Thanks Guys You're the Greatest. Going to Play around With tat Irish Soda Bread. Going to try a Sheepherders Bread I seen on You Tube with The Cast Iron Ranger. Check Him out. Hes got several DO cooking videos on You tube. Hes a State Park Ranger with NM state parks, Wishbone-Ks

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
I was also thinking about doing a Bacon Fatty with hard boiled Eggs in the Middle. I guess If I get the top heat a little Higher than Normal I should be able to Bake the Bacon Ok. Anyone done one of these Things in a DO. I was also thinking about doing one as a Bacon-Cheese Burger with a Higher melt Cheddar Cheese in the Center. BBQ sauce on Burger & a few other spices too. Any Comments? Wishbone-Ks

Offline G W Wade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:33 PM »
new to your group but thought i could but in.  my pards love my breakfast.  1# bacon bits&pieces cooked to your half done.  add onions geen pepper and 4 cups dehydrated hash browns. close up DO for about 20 minutes.  with everything hot break 8 eggs onto top of mess in DO.cover with  tub of grands bicuiots cover and cook till biscuits done.   everyonr gets whats below his biscuit...I usually have go-fast jam for biscuits -1 habenero pepper chopped as fine as poss and mixed into jar of peach or rasberry jam ckilled of course....good luck and enjoy  GW
the smell of gunpowder in the morning

1961MJS

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Hi

I learned to cook a sort of breakfast Lasagna at Scouts 15 years ago.l  Pre-cook some bacon or sausage or any other animal by-product.  In a greased or aluminum lined Dutch oven layer the following:

Corn or Wheat Tortilla
Shredded potato (hash browns)
Meat
Onion / peppers etc
White cheese
Yellow cheese
Egg

Repeat at least once, twice is better.
Top with hot (heated up) Picante sauce.

Cook at least 40 minutes until done in the middle.  Note that this takes a lot longer if you make it up the night before and it freezes some.  Don't ask how I know...

???

Mike
Norman OK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com