Author Topic: Another remake  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Another remake
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
I just read on the net that Matt Damon and Tom Cruise are set to star in the remake of The Magnificent Seven.

Crossdraw

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Another remake
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Apparently, MGM is on board with several name stars to redo this classic. According to what I have read, Morgan Feeeman is slated to protray Calvara. Matt Damon is taking Steve McQueen's character Vinn. Tom Criuse will be Chris and Kevin Costner will step into the role of Brett.

We'll see how this turns out.

Crossdraw

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
Two things seem to have happened.
(1)Hollywood has completely run out of ideas.
(2) No one in Hollywood reads Western History.

I can think of a bunch of good Old West subjects/history that hasn't been done.

How about the Man Hunt for and killing of Sam Bass?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:01:05 PM »

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
A good movie about the career of Bass Reeves would be nice too.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:12:41 AM »
As soon as I read the name Tom Cruise that ruined it for me.    ::)
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
I would guess, at this point in time, these names may change. That's if the project actually gets off of the ground.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »
Not sure if any of you watch Justified on FX.  Timothy Oliphant of Deadwood is the lead and is really a modern western.  Many of the deadwood actors have made guess appearences.  This season his boss is talking to another older marshall and mention the fact Hollywood has not made a movie about Bass Reeves (has a picture from Tombstone in the office) and says "I wish someone would tell Denzell about it."  I agree!  Hopefully Denzell watches Justified.

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
A couple of months ago I picked up a book about Bass Reeves. Much of it was based on court records as Reeves could not read or write. He had quite a distingushed career as a Deputy US Marshal. Maybe Cuba Gooding Jr. or Jamie Fox would be interested as well.

As for the Mag 7 remake: It may be interesting if the right people were signed on. Think of the costuming, guns and the leather options that were not available in 1960. Might be good; Look at how True Grit turned out. I didn't think I would like it, but I did (my daughter still refuses to watch the new TG to this day being a good John Wayne fan).

Crossdraw

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
I am really supprised this hasn't stirred everyone up like the True Grit remake did.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
I put it in the I'll believe it when I see the trailer.   Initially I was not overly happy to hear that they were remaking True Grit, but happy someone was making a western.   Watched and had the thought, "What if Wayne had been paired with this girl and Damon instead of Darby and Campbell"  Loved Glen Campbell when he picked and sang, not so much on the screen.   All in all, I liked the movie, thought the seen with the odd Bear guy and dead body could have been removed, understand it was in the book, but understand why it was not in Wayne's version.  Did not agree with the ending, you can say a lot about Frank James and Cole Younger, but as a Missouri Gorilla, I am 99.9% sure they would have stood when a lady approached even if they had bad knees and she was dressed like Abraham Lincoln.  (Would not say that if we were talking Jesse FYI)
As to this, Damon may not be bad.  Not a fan of Cruise at all.   Is he going to jump on a couch while clapping his hands for Chico to draw?    With this movie, I see either 1 name and 6 unknowns, or you will get EGO City and it won't get made.   

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
Yeah, I can see your point. The hanging man and the bear skin guy were a little bizzar in the TG remake. Over all I thought it was done quite well. The Duke version is more animated than the remake, but it still my favorite.

As for the Mag 7: This is all still on the drawing board as far as I can tell. I'm not a big fan of Criuse either. If they do go forward with this project, they can at least do better than the TV series that was out several years ago!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
Those scenes were not in the book True Grit.  I can't really imagine why they wrote them into the script.  I'm told that they had to make a number of script changes because Damon's schedule didn't fit with the filming schedule.  As a result, they eliminated some scenes he was in and probably wrote in more scenes without him to fill up the time.  Even the argument that leads to La Boeuf leaving for a while isn't in the book and I suppose is to explain why is is gone from the story for a while.

CC Griff (a big fan of the book)
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Glad to hear that scene is not in the book.  May have to track down a copy.  I was told that coimng out of the movie by a self proclaimed expert.  Should have known better.

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
In the original film, only Brynner was a big star. McQueen was known mainly for television, Eli Wallach was mainly a stage actor, Bucholz was well-known in Europe, and the rest were character actors whose faces were known, but rarely their names. Several became big stars later. Remaking it with an all-star ensemble would be an almost impossible task of scheduling since these guys tend to be booked up for years with only narrow shooting wondows. And who can match elmer Bernstein's music score, one of the classics?

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
Amen to what Gen Lew Wallace said. Hearing Tom Cruise to possilbe acting in it--ruins it for me to. He reminds me of two many smart alec, sassy, mouthy, little %$#@?'s I had to deal with while wearing a badge for 21 yrs.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 05:24:25 AM »

Crow Choker

If ya don't like Tom Cruise in "The Magnificent Seven" remake may be we can get them to drop him and call the movie "The Mediocre Six"!  (I wouldn't watch him either.)

Jubal Starbuck

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
Mr. Jubal-That would work. Did you see my post on 'movie gaffs'? That was the old 'Strand' theater as you musta figured out. Of course the person I viewed the movie I spoke of was none other than "Zeke"  as ya musta' figured out too!!! Tried callin ya Sat, yer phone musta been shut off-went right into Voice mail. Yers-Croker of Crows, Gagger of Galls, Strangler of Swans, and other 'handles' of identification!!!!!   ********** To all other viewers and readers of this topic--No attempt was made to 'highjack' or change this threads topic of discussion, only to convey information to Mr Jubal Starbuck by electronic transmission through copper wires, electronic gadgets, space satilites, and other stuff that I have no knowledge about. Please forgive any perception of or any misunderstanings thereof!!! Yers Crow Choker ;D 
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
As soon as I read the name Tom Cruise that ruined it for me.    ::)

Yeah, me too.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
Yeah, me too.

Same here, add Costner and it just gets twice as bad.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com