Author Topic: My 73 dilemma or am I just being crazy ?  (Read 7703 times)

Offline HuntinNut

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My 73 dilemma or am I just being crazy ?
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
  First off Ive shot CAS for 15 or so years off and on and I'm having a rough time making a decision and hope ya'll can help me out with it. I just recently decided to get back into CAS and decided to get set up again with a Uberti 73 sporting rifle instead of a 24in Yellow Boy. Around these parts 73's  are not something you see at funshops very often, but I did run across a beautifully engraved 73 Uberti carbine for a heck of a price and couldn't let it go. The rifle has been hand engraved by a well know local engraver(we think) and I'm going to take it to him when he gets back to make sure its his or engraving job or atleast see if he could tell me who did it.

Anyway my problem is I really like the gun, but I cannot get over it being a carbine and really want a sporting rifle. First off regardless on what the end decision  I make I really doubt Ill sell the rifle, but I just don't think the carbine will grow to be my favorite match rifle which means I really doubt Ill shoot it much.  As I see it now I'm really leaning towards buying another 73 Sporting rifle and having the stock, lever and front ends swapped around which would give me a awesome engraved 73 sporting rifle and a 73  carbine that I could keep for a back up or sell and recoup some cost from the swap.

Ive been looking around a lot and have run across several 66's in my price range that have a octagon barrel. I've also been looking at the Chaparral 73 which are cheap and I think might be a good donor for the parts I need since a smith would have them both apart and could look over the Chaparral before putting it back together. Neither the 66 or 73 would have the pistol grip stock, but its not a deal breaker to me.  I know what I want is to buy another 66/73 and put together my dream gun and really guess what I'm wanting is someone to say that's what they would do in my situation, but I also would like to know if I'm crazy and should just leave well enough alone.

If I do go ahead and do the swap itll set me back from my goal alittle, but I always end up with two sets of cowboys guns in the end anyway. I'm also waiting for my youngen to get alittle older where hes ready to start the game so if I ended up with a nice carbine Id be alttle above the power curve there. I know I could pick up a barrel, mag tube and forend and put them on, but from what I've seen that's going to put me real close or atleast in the ballpark of what another used rifle is going to cost.

So what do you guys think? Am I crazy or am I on to something here?

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
Re: My 73 dilemma or am I just being crazy ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »

So what do you guys think? Am I crazy or am I on to something here?
Howdy HuntNut, I think yer crazy :o You have a perfectly good 73 there, go shoot it, never know the carbine might grow on ya.  Don't get in such a hurry and go swapping stuff around, just wait till a 73 sporting rilfe comes along you like and buy it. When the youngin gets a little older buy another stock for the carbine and have it cut to fit him.....Ta Daaa!! Now you will both have a rifle that you like.
Stay away from the Chaparral, they are that price for a reason, and the parts will not fit the Uberti. Yes I know there are a couple of pards that have a Chaparral that works, but there are many more that have been through a nightmare. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
When you start talking buying another 73 and swapping all the parts (unless you can do all the work yourself), it would probably be cheaper to just have the new rifle engraved.  As far as CAS is concerned, lots of people like carbines since they are shorter and lighter and swing faster.  CAS rifle targets are CLOSE, so you don't really need all that much sight radius to hit the targets reliably.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:06:43 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
+1 to what Pettifogger said.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:35:18 PM »
There are different butt stocks on the rifle and carbine. Ya just might like that carbine. I shoot a 20" short rifle in .44-40 and it has the curved rifle butt. I also have a 66 carbine and I like that one too but I prefer the rifle butt. That's just me. Have fun shooting the carbine.

Rye
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline HuntinNut

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
When you start talking buying another 73 and swapping all the parts (unless you can do all the work yourself), it would probably be cheaper to just have the new rifle engraved.  As far as CAS is concerned, lots of people like carbines since they are shorter and lighter and swing faster.  CAS rifle targets are CLOSE, so you don't really need all that much sight radius to hit the targets reliably.

Actually I just talked to a smith today that does 73 work and the barrel swap would run between 75.00-125.00 per gun as long as I don't run into a head space  issue.  A used 66 will run me between 650-850.00 so say I give 850.00 for the rifle and pay 250.00 for the barrels to be swapped I'm at 1100.00 + shipping . Now if I could find a 73 sporting rifle for 850.00 and I drop it off to have it engraved the engraving will run 1100.00 for the coverage I have on the rifle right now so, really buying a rifle and having the barrels swapped is the cheaper route

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »

Actually I just talked to a smith today that does 73 work and the barrel swap would run between 75.00-125.00 per gun as long as I don't run into a head space  issue.  A used 66 will run me between 650-850.00 so say I give 850.00 for the rifle and pay 250.00 for the barrels to be swapped I'm at 1100.00 + shipping . Now if I could find a 73 sporting rifle for 850.00 and I drop it off to have it engraved the engraving will run 1100.00 for the coverage I have on the rifle right now so, really buying a rifle and having the barrels swapped is the cheaper route

Your still going to have a pink Elephant if yours is a true and correct carbine because the stock and forarm, barrel bands and butt cap should be different than the rifle. If you have what Uberti calls a short rifle then they would be the same.

You would have to switch way more than just the barrel and your luck is better than anyone's I know if you can buy two rifles and switch everything over from one receiver to the other and not have a mess of fit issues.

You asked for advice and got good advice, sounds like your going to try your way regardless. Hope it works out for you.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
The Chaparral is made by Armis San Marco and is a very cheap gun on the inside when compared to a Uberti gun.
Look at the prices at Buffalo Arms as all guns made by Uberti and sold by Taylors, Cimarron and others are all the same gun. Just look at the stock numbers on the web sites and compare them.
It's better to purchase what you want from scratch than swapping parts from different guns.
The shorter barrel swings and gets on target much faster.
As Rye posted my 44-40 short rifle is the only way to fly.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
Pard,

Here's my $0.02.  You really should shoot the '73 carbine in a match or two.  You may find that you actually like it.  That's what happened to me on my '66. Yup, CAS targets are close -- so close that a good bit of swing is often required to get from one target to another.  The shorter, lighter carbine is perfect for that.

But you know something?  It sounds like you mighta already made up your mind and just want someone to say its okay.  So get ready, 'cause here it comes.

Whatever you decide, its okay.  ;D

-- Nighteyes

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:33:20 AM »
Putting Chapparell parts on a Uberti and the other way round too would be like trying to put Ford parts on a Chevy.

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
IMHO, go shoot the darn thing.  You'll get a lot of style point for having an engraved rifle.  Who knows, you might even like the rifle.  My 1st was a Winchester 94 trapper model in 45 colt.     Didnt know squat about the rifle except I got it cheep.  Found out at my 1st match that I could only load 9 rounds in at a time, it was rough to shoot fast, and sometimes the bolt over road the round coming up to chamber.  It turned out to be a GREAT Hog gun with heavy loaded 45 colts......I later and quit by accident traded a Ruger Black hawk in 41 mag for a uberti 73 with a 24 inch oct barrel.  Had to replace the rear sight.  Really wasnt looking for a long barrel gun but what the heck.  It has grown on me and is my main match gun.  I later picked up a uberty carbine in 44-40.  I like that gun too.  I'm also looking for either a 66 or a Henery (uberti) to go with my Ruger Old Armies. All depends on the persona and time period I want to be at the next match.  Anyway, one cant have enough guns in their gun safe(s).  I do like a lot of options.  Anyway, isnt this the sport to have fun with and relive our 2nd child hoods?
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
Pappy Myles try Rusty Woods Trading Company on the left coast, he holds a small stock of assorted Cowboy guns. They did up a Uberti M73 for me 3 months afo, fantastic work. I'll be at the SAWWS match in Saskatoon on the 25th if you would try out the quality of their work. I know Burnt Bacon is looking forward to seeing Lady Bleu again.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »
Howdy Garand,
Looking foreward to seeing that rifle of yours.  The 73 I got I traded for in Anchorage with a guy that was getting out of of Cowboy and wanted a magnum pistol.  I happened to have a 41 mag Blackhawk he liked so we traded.    Its a 24 inch barrel that I've slicked up myself thru trial and error.  It does good for being a 45 Colt.    I'll be playing dirty again this year.  Trying out a load with Hodegon's 777.  Let the smoke rise.

I've come to the conclusion I have more fun playing with different time periods when I go to matches then anything else.  My eyesight and arthritis keeps me from speeding up.  The price we pay for the seniority we gain.  My latest kick is setting up for 1866 time frame.  I got a pair of Stainless Steel Fixed Sight Ruger Old Armies 7 1/2 barrel back in the Republic, so my cap and ball pistols are take care ok.  (yeah I know old armies arn't original, but they a pretty close to Remmies). I can use my TTN hammered shotgun (its a strech there since the date on them is 1878).  As for a rifle, not sure if I want a model 66 or a Henry.  These will be in 44-40.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
Hi,

I just had to put my $0.02 in ...

When I started I bought a Codymatic/Uberti '73 Winchester in .45 Colt ... and since I shoot a couple of Schofield pistols, I asked him to arrange that it would shoot Schofield as well ... it turns out that it would anyway, but that is another story.

I decided to get a gunsmith who did this regularly to hotrod the rifle BEFORE it was sent to me. That way I avoided the 1.) Cost of shipping the weapon to and from another gunsmith to do further work ... 2.) The problems that arise when one puts several things on a gun (i.e. short throw levers, aluminum carrier, et al ... it seems like doing it that way fixes one problem but makes several more).
3.) Lastly, warranty. Most gun warranties are voided when any action work is done. The gunsmith that did all the work will uphold his warranty for the gun ... and Cody buys from Taylors & Co., which I understand will back up Cody ....

Here is his website:

http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

And here is a pic of my Codymatic:

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
Pappy, I would never accuse you of slowing down! After all you gave me a run for the money in Biggar, you were only 28.28 seconds behind me. Also I'll see you Saturday, unfortunately Burnt Bacon won't be able to make it as she has a funeral to go to (long story).
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
My condolences.  Funerals are never a good thing to have to go to.
Looking foreward to this weekend.  Lady Bleu and I will both be shooting Black.  We've going to see if we cant smoke up the place.......lol
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com