Author Topic: rossi feeding problems  (Read 8967 times)

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
rossi feeding problems
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »
i got a new rossi 92 with a 24" barrel i have about 100 rounds through it  today it would jam up with a round fully on the loading gate and the next round from the mag tube sticking out aganst the 1 st round  not letting the gate raise up to load the round into the chamber i'm shooting factory  158gr  lead rnft the cartridge stop spring seems soft i don't know how much tension  it's suposed to have ??? any ideas before i send it back to rossi thanks buckshot 

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: rossi feeding problems
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:41 AM »
I am almost certain that your ammo is too short.  You didn't say what the rifle is chambered for, but from the 158 grain bullet mention, I would guess 38/357.  Overall cartridge length is important because the cartridge stop on the lifter is located for 357-length ammo.  If you use factory 38s they will jam because they are too short & allow the next round to protrude from the mag tube over the end of the lifter.

The max OAL for any of the lever gun cartridges (38, 357, 38-40, 44, 44-40, 45) is 1.575".  I have a friend with a Rossi 92 in 38/357 & he loads his 38 ammo to 1.525" overall length with good results.

If you don't reload, try using 357 instead of 38 factory ammo.

HAD
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
thanks for th reply i'm going to measure the 38 rounds i was using yesterday at a match funny thing was when i bought the gun i went up in the woods and put 75 rounds of mixed 38 sp through it swc ,rn,rnfp anr jhp and it functioned perfectly even mixing different bullet styles  yesterday at the match 1st stage it shot great 2nd stage it shot 2 rounds then double fed and jamed cleared it cleaned and lubed the carrer area 3 stage shot great again 4stage 1 round then double fed again another shooter lent me his rifle for the last stage i was hopeing that i could use the same rounds as my pistols as i have a lot of 38 brass i may have to switch to 357 brass for the rifle if that fixes the problem i may call rossi tech suport and see what they say i'll post my results after i get it figgered out 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:15:48 PM »

Offline Cholla Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
Hollar is right, I shoot a 92 in .357 mine prefers a OAL of 1.55.

And yes I had the same results while testing the gun it would feed anything, but in the heat of competition LOOK OUT It would jam up every stage with the 158 rnfp.

I recommend Moulton Leads 147 grain tc bullets they don't have a groove so you can load them out to the length that your rifle prefers 

http://www.moultonlead.com/

One more thing.... get the Kiowa Jones DVD and the spring kit with steel follower.

Also a 92 must be cycled vigorously, if you short stroke it it will jam.
"I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig! "

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
thanks to both of you i'm pretty sure it was/is a ammo length issue  the ammo i shot on the 1st and 2nd stages was 158 gr swc that oal was 1.442 some how these short rounds fed good on 1st stage switch to some 158lrnft and 3 stage shot great used lrnft for the 4th stage  and it jamed i just measured the 158lrnft i used and found some of it measured 1.501-1.558 depending on brand [i bought 450rounds of mixed factory rounds from a guy i know at the locial gun shows for$50. ]after loading rounds and watching the cartage lifter work i found that any round less than 1.518 long would let the next round block the lifter from loading the next round  just got done ordering 1000 147 gr moulton bullets and i'l load them with some trailboss  to 1.55 oal thanks again    buckshot

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
update  i measured all the 38sp rounds i have on hand and had 112 rounds that were over 1.530oal and about 25 that were between 1.518 and 1.530 went up in the mountains and shot the 92 anything over 1.530 fed flawlessly rounds that were between 1.518 and 1.530 shot ok but i could feel the cartrage lifter  hitting and pushing the next round back into the mag  tube fired some standard length 38s and they would cause a jam 90% of the time now i'm waiting for he bullets i just ordered so i can load for the next shoot i had called rossi and they said that the cartrage stop spring was causing the problem  but after reading everything i could find on feeding problems 95%of the people said that length is very important so the spring they are sending me is going into the spare parts box and i'll just reload all my own and make sure i always have a couple hundred in reaserve since i wont be able to just stop and buy ammo for cas which was my reason for picking my guns in 38sp i guess i can't be lazy 

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
I shot a NCOWS event yesterday with a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. I had the same problem and didn't have last season at all. So I got to looking and found it was the length of the ammo for sure. In my case a 1.500" to 1.600" works perfect however if .001 less or more it doesn't and double feeds. Never had a problem with it with factory ammo but recently bought a press that came with a few hundred rounds already made up. They fired fine in my hand gun just wouldn't in the rifle unless they fell in the range listed earlier.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
I shot a NCOWS event yesterday with a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. I had the same problem and didn't have last season at all. So I got to looking and found it was the length of the ammo for sure. In my case a 1.500" to 1.600" works perfect however if .001 less or more it doesn't and double feeds. Never had a problem with it with factory ammo but recently bought a press that came with a few hundred rounds already made up. They fired fine in my hand gun just wouldn't in the rifle unless they fell in the range listed earlier.

Just set your bullet seating die to the right length, then run all those rounds through it.  That way you can be sure everything will feed.

It's funny, I started with a 92 in 45LC & never worried about ammo OAL.  That rifle feeds anything, including semi-wadcutters.  I bought an 1860 Henry back in February.  First time I shot it, JAM.  Ammo too long.  I reset the bullet seater for an OAL of 1.570" & ran every round of ammo back through the press.  I haven't had a problem with ammo jams since.

HAD
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
+1 on the moulton lead 147gr TC....My little Rossi 92 LOVES them
All you need is love and a .45

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
the 147 moulton bullets solved the feeding problem i loaded them with 4.0gr of trailboss at 1.555 oal and shot 250 rounds with out a problem shot a couple of 5 shot groups that measured 2" at 50 yards tryed some of the stanard 158swc and rifle jamed 60%of the time hats off to all of you that turned me on to moulton bullets   P.S they are also some of the least expencive bullets out there

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com