Author Topic: Navy Arms Schofields, who has 'em and who likes or dislikes 'em?  (Read 30448 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Navy Arms Schofields, who has 'em and who likes or dislikes 'em?
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
An original Schofield is lucky to go 25 rds. before binding. S&W lengthened the gas collar on the Model 3 three times because of fouling problems. The secret today is to use a LOT of grease on the cylinder pin and to use Big Lube bullets. I once fired NINETY SIX consecutive real BP rounds in a buddy's Uberti .44 Russian w/o binding by doing the aforementioned.

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 08:25:47 AM »
I found my new #3 Russian in .44 Russian functions very well with black powder.  My older Navy Arms Schofield in .44-40 on the other hand not so much.  After much searching, the problem lies with the most unlikely of places.  The breechface.  Somehow fouling accumulates there and makes everything drag.  There is no blow-by, but ridges of fouling are there.  I only discovered thisupon shooting my last cylinder full while trying to burn off my surplus ammo.  Maybe it's the .44-40 chambering, and this wouldn't happen with straight wall cartridges.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:51 PM »
...Maybe it's the .44-40 chambering, and this wouldn't happen with straight wall cartridges.

Has nothing to do with chambering and EVERYTHING to do with the lack of an historically correct gas collar. Read my previous post about lubing it.  ;)

Advertising

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
The gun mags I've read say the reason the reproduction Schofields have problems with BP are that they made them with too tight of tolerances. The forcing cone is too close to the cylinder and there is not enough room for the BP fouling to let the cylinder to move after it builds up just a little bit.

I don't shoot BP in my guns so I never have a problem. But it sounds like lots of S&W repros do.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
I think it comes back to the modification of the design and modern tolerances in CNC machining of the parts.  BP and BP substitute as a rule will not work well in modern S&W replicas.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »
Guns with the tighter tolerances shoot BP better. The gas collar PREVENTS, much like tight tolerances, the fouling from entering into the cylinder pin area which impedes cylinder rotation.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
Gentlemen,
I have a Navy Arms Schofield "Wells Fargo" Model with the 5" barrel and simulated ivory grips.  I like it a lot, but I'd like to trade it with a pard for a 7" Cavalry Model.  do you know anyone who'd be interested in such a trade?  If I can find someone to trade with, I'd like to at least get the proper wood grips with the Inspector's Cartouche, so it looks correct in the holster. 
Respectfully,
Fritz

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
I've got a 7" Cavalry model with "Mexican Eagle" bone grips....One of my absolute favorites...accurate, great trigger...

I've been looking for a 5" but the other day I ran across an 1872 Open Top that might delay the next Schofield...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
Well, if you're interested in a trade. please let me know.  It's a great shooter; just not correct for an old Horse Soldier like me!
R/S
Fritz

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 10:11:59 PM »
I like how those grips make the gun look. I've got a card from a guy at a recent gun show that makes custom grips for various models and he said he does Schofield grips quite a bit. He has lots of materials to use, Ivory, Mammoth Ivory, Zebra, Giraffe, and other animal bone. His grips (the ones he had examples of) were great looking. When I order I think I will buy the giraffe ones for both of my Schofileds. I want to get some scorpions etched into them.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline COLT_45_SAA

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »
Love the pearl ones on mine.....My favorite six shooter.....

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
Let's see ... Most SASS shoots are six stages figure 5 rounds out of each gun per stage ... so maybe 30 each/60 total ... there is no cylinder binding after 30 .... I am SO spoiled with these pistols!

I hear ya pardner! My 5 inch barrelled Uberti does not bind up at all!

Swede

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com