Author Topic: Pistol Packing Preachers  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Coyote Hunter

• Saddlebag Preacher
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I only have two cheeks....
    • The Saddlebag Preacher
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pistol Packing Preachers
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
I am a minister and a western history buff and reenactor. There are two books out there that I've just finished for a circuit rider portrayal I do. One is called "Bible in pocket, Gun in Hand" and the other is "Pistol Packin' Preachers". Now, if you love the old west, you don't have to be a Christian to really enjoy these true stories. None of the folks were wimps and took no gruff from anyone. They are very good reads and shows there were tough men out there besides lawmen and outlaws, cattlemen and miners. The guns they prefered might surprise you, Pale Rider may have been a little more authentic than many believe...

CH
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Pistol Packing Preachers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
I am a minister and a western history buff and reenactor. There are two books out there that I've just finished for a circuit rider portrayal I do. One is called "Bible in pocket, Gun in Hand" and the other is "Pistol Packin' Preachers". Now, if you love the old west, you don't have to be a Christian to really enjoy these true stories. None of the folks were wimps and took no gruff from anyone. They are very good reads and shows there were tough men out there besides lawmen and outlaws, cattlemen and miners. The guns they prefered might surprise you, Pale Rider may have been a little more authentic than many believe...

CH

I for one never believed that any circuit rider in that day be it a preacher of judge wasn't tough. I will look for both soon as I love to read true accounts of the west.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
Just sent Pistol Packin Preacher to sun&air in England.  He uses the handle "Preacher".
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:11:53 PM »

Offline Dusty Drifter

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:56:54 PM »
CH,

Thanks for the post. Both books sound interesting. I looked them up online at my local library and they have them both so I will definitely check them out.
I enjoy western movies and novels but more likley than not, if the story includes a preacher, he is portrayed as either being weak and wimpy or a fraud. But I guess they think reality won't sell as many movies and books!

DD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com