Author Topic: Gunsmoke and Stag Grips  (Read 8107 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunsmoke and Stag Grips
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »
I recently saw a brief film clip in which Buck taylor told me something I had not known. I have always been a fan of the faux stag grips on many of the Colts we see in the old B westerns. Some were made by Franzite and Bob Lescovic of Precision Pro Grips has the original molds.There is a scene at the beginning or end of Gunsmoke where you see Matt Dillon's gun hanging on the wall in its Arvo Ojala holster and you can plainly see the imitation stag grips
Buck said that at some point, a viewer wrote in and asked, were they aware that Matt Dillon's gun was wearing plastic grips. At that point, the grips were exchanged for real stag. Yesterday, I was watching one of the later color episodes of Gunsmoke, featuring incidentally, Buck taylor as Newly and lo and behold, I saw that Matt's gun was sporting real stag grips. I had never noticed the switch.

A side note is that because of those original grips, it has been said that Matt's gun was a Great Western but I read a transcript of an interview with Arness once where he said he only used Colts.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Gunsmoke and Stag Grips
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
I just put some faux grips on my new 7 1/2" Cimarron Mod P myself. I got mine at the NCOWS convention recently here in Kentucky. I think they turned out pretty good considering I did them with a file and sand paper.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
I just put some faux grips on my new 7 1/2" Cimarron Mod P myself. I got mine at the NCOWS convention recently here in Kentucky. I think they turned out pretty good considering I did them with a file and sand paper.
They look great!  Who makes them?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:49 AM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
They look great!  Who makes them?

I got them from this fellow http://www.gripmaker.com/ he had a large selection from very white to the moderate aged that I picked to really old looking. Based on what he said he also supplies to several other sites that sell them also. I really found one only need to cut two section the very top and front to get them to center on the grip frame. Once there I made a pattern of the grip frame with heavy paper (file cards) and traced around them. Once I had the grips close I glued the center bar in after taking it down a bit with a belt grinder. Glued using epoxy glue and once done used a file for the high spots followed by sand paper. I didn't round mine like the typical Uberti/Cimarron grips as I find them a bit narrow for me and left them more block shaped. I'm planing on picking up two more for my 5 1/2 and 4 3/4 barreled guns next.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com