Author Topic: S&W model 3 second model  (Read 5314 times)

Offline wyattm

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
S&W model 3 second model
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
I just picked up a S&W model 3 second model in 44 Russian. Beautiful condition. One of the grips looks to be a replacement.....where can I get a set of matching wood grips.
Thanks

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
Re: S&W model 3 second model
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
I just picked up a S&W model 3 second model in 44 Russian. Beautiful condition. One of the grips looks to be a replacement.....where can I get a set of matching wood grips.
Thanks

Ive seen one set of original grips for sale in the past 9 years.  Sold for over $500. 

A guy who can make nice reproduction wood grips would be Klamath River Wood Works (he's got a web site).  He'll probably need your grip frame.   He's done grips for me and his work is second to none. 

G
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
Would sure be nice to see some pictures of your new gun.  ;D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:59:10 AM »

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
Ive seen one set of original grips for sale in the past 9 years.  Sold for over $500. 

A guy who can make nice reproduction wood grips would be Klamath River Wood Works (he's got a web site).  He'll probably need your grip frame.   He's done grips for me and his work is second to none. 

G

I just checked and looks like Klamath's web site is down.  I do think he is still in business.  Last time I contacted him was last fall.  His info:

Keno Slim 
a.k.a. Brian Neely
Klamath River Woodworks LLC
www.klamathriverwoodworks.com
(541) 892-2269
info@klamathriverwoodworks.com
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline wyattm

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will try to post pics after I take them.
Wyattm

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »
Please do,  I would love to see pictures since I can't hold it.  ;D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline wyattm

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
After the top latch is latched there seems to be a very, very small amount of up and down movement in the barrel system.... no side ways movement... that is very tight. Is there supposed to be a little up and down movement....
Wyattm

Offline wyattm

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
Were the grips oiled walnut or varnished walnut. I have one of each on this gun... the varnished grip looks more worn and used than the oiled grip.
Wyattm

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
After the top latch is latched there seems to be a very, very small amount of up and down movement in the barrel system.... no side ways movement... that is very tight. Is there supposed to be a little up and down movement....
Wyattm

No. when they left the factory they were tight as a drum. You snapped the latch in place and there was no play at all. Some play is common with these old guns, it can indicate wear at the latch. It can also indicate too much pounding from recoil from shooting Smokeless loads over the years. The frame can stretch. Exactly how much is acceptable is difficult to say without examining the gun.

I have to ask a question though. Your post states S&W model 3 second model. The Number 3 frame was generic. It simply meant the largest Top Break frame that S&W made. There were five distinct models that used the Number 3 sized frame, the American Model, the Russian Model, the Schofield, the New Model Number Three, and the DA 44. They were all different Calling it the S&W model 3 does not really define the model that you have. Do you know exactly what you have?

If you don't, here is an excellent web page that describes the 5 different models built on the Number 3 frame.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/Mod3-info.html
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com