Author Topic: Zorro ....  (Read 4446 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Zorro ....
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
No, Not that movie with Antonio Balderas ... but the book by Isabel Allende ... it starts out with the beginning ... how Don Diego de la Vega ( the part playd as a late-in-life Don Diego/Zorro as Anthony Hopkins in the movie) became the jaded cynical Californio Ranchero owner while all the time living the part of Zorro.

I just picked up the book ... it was like a bit of magic and I was drawn to it ...

Out of curiosity, has anyone read it?

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Zorro ....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
I haven't read it but may now.

Please give us a short review when you are finished.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:46 PM »
Marshall Will,

Can and will do ... right now I am reading a book suggested on here ... " Five  Years A Dragoon" by Percival G Lowe which I am thoroughly enjoying ... this man knew Grant, Sherman and Sheridan on their way up as lieutenants ... I am guessing he knew Robert E Lee ... who was in the neighborhood ... and as a quatermaster he dealt with all of them....

http://www.amazon.com/years-dragoon-other-adventures-Plains/dp/1178672514/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334981459&sr=1-1

Next on the list is "Queen of the Nothern Mines" by Richard Hurley and TJ Meeklns ... which takes a look at the Confederate intreste in the mines (and gold) of the Northern California Mines ...

http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Northern-Mines-Novel-California/dp/0983179808/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334981379&sr=1-1
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:54:10 AM »

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
How does it compare with the original Zorro story, Johnston McCulley's "The Curse of Capistrano" (1919)? I remember reading it in a Dell paperback edition in the early '60s and being a bit disappointed. Nowhere near as much action as in the tv series, which I loved. I'll have to give it another try. I appreciate early 20th century pulp better now than I did in my teens. I may give the Allende book a try, too.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
Hi Kid,

I am a sloooow reader  ... still working on '5 Years a Dragoon' ... but will chime in with my likes and dislikes as soom as I get to it ...

I think I am going to try to read the 'Quen or the Norhtern Mines' and it simultaneously ... that way I might have an opinion quicker ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »
No, Not that movie with Antonio Balderas ... but the book by Isabel Allende ... it starts out with the beginning ... how Don Diego de la Vega ( the part playd as a late-in-life Don Diego/Zorro as Anthony Hopkins in the movie) became the jaded cynical Californio Ranchero owner while all the time living the part of Zorro.

I just picked up the book ... it was like a bit of magic and I was drawn to it ...

Out of curiosity, has anyone read it?

JAfter seeing this post, I borrowed the book from the library.  Just finished it.  A good read.  Just enough action to keep it interesting, and enough social history details to remember.  Not sure how accurate it is?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
Two bits, four bits, six bits a peso...sorry Wadd, I couldn't help myself, LOL
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »
Two bits, four bits, six bits a peso...sorry Wadd, I couldn't help myself, LOL
[/quote

And I always thought the peso was worth much less than a dollar ...

TTFN

NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »
In all seriousness, I'd like to read the book. The movies just don't seem to do the character justice.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:20:40 AM »
It is available out of the Library ... you might have to order it from a main library, but the gist is that it is still free ... for right now anyway ....

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com