Author Topic: Question about bullets  (Read 2414 times)

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about bullets
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »
This may sound strange but real new to this. Now if I buy bullets from a company like http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/index.aspx?pageid=195162 do they come already lubed or need to be lubed? Thanks in advance.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Question about bullets
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
Hi Friend
Welcome to the great world of 'fun in the sun'

By the looks of the bullets on the web site they are already lubed.
Depending on what you are shooting and in what firerm you may want to check as to what they are useing for lube .
Some work better then others and YMMV.

Enjoy
Dutch
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
Hi Friend
Welcome to the great world of 'fun in the sun'

By the looks of the bullets on the web site they are already lubed.
Depending on what you are shooting and in what firerm you may want to check as to what they are useing for lube .
Some work better then others and YMMV.

Enjoy
Dutch

Thanks Dutch. I actually got 500 of their 45 250 gr bullets as part of the 2 presses I bought used. I will be loading the 45 Colt with Pyrodex (also got a pound with the setup). I looked at their site but saw nothing on them even lubing them much less type of lube. I will probably give them a call and ask.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:34 PM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
Thanks Dutch. I actually got 500 of their 45 250 gr bullets as part of the 2 presses I bought used. I will be loading the 45 Colt with Pyrodex (also got a pound with the setup). I looked at their site but saw nothing on them even lubing them much less type of lube. I will probably give them a call and ask.

If your bullets are NOT lubed with a soft Black Powder compatable lubericant, you fouling will be hard and difficult to clean.  The hard wax type lube put on comercial cast bullets are great with smokeless, but not with Pyrodex.

There are two ways to go with this, the easiest is to make lube cookies to fit under the bullets as they are so that you will soften your fouling when you fire them with Pyrodex.  The second is to put the bullets in the oven, on top of paper towels on a cookie sheet and set the oven on 250* for about 15 minutes and see if the crayon lube melts out.  It might take up to 30 minutes, just make sure the paper towels don't burn.  Paper's  flash point is 451* so you should be safe.  Then re-lube them with SPG or comparible BP lube.

Good luck.   
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
Seeing as how you are useing up the Pyrodex , I second Grapeshots advice . Either a cookie or melt out the hard lube.
I use a cookie on all my BP or BP subistutes. As well I lube the bullets with SPG. I guess I'm an old fart who likes the belt ansd suspenders style.  ;D
Would the site sell you pain cast bullets ? Save you a lot of work and is easier to do them from scratch.

Maybe ? Worth a call.

Enjoy.
Question
Are you going to be shooting BP or smokeless when you finish the can of P.?
 ???
Dutch
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com