Author Topic: What's Going On ?  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What's Going On ?
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »
Has anyone else noticed some off the prices we are now seeing on Gunbroker for USFA guns ? One seller on there now must have 8-10 guns at pretty steep prices, including a run of the mill premium model with wood grips and no engraving for, are you sitting down, $4,995 opening bid. Are these folks just fishing or are they anticipating the supply drying up COMPLETELY ?

Offline mtone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What's Going On ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
I saw those and called USFA to see if they were something special.  They were sold to a dealer in NH around 2007 who since moved to SC.  All had Armory B engraving.  You can look up todays retail for the guns with the options and see that they are significantly overpriced.  I don't think very many people will need one at that price but it only takes one according to PT Barnum.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:43:53 PM »
You can put a million dollars as an opening bid on a Daisy BB gun.  Don't mean that is what they are selling for.  USFA's are beautiful guns and I have several.  However, they are like cars.  As soon as you buy one it takes a terrific depreciation hit.  USFA's are often tough to resell.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:33:22 PM »

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
I saw those and called USFA to see if they were something special.  They were sold to a dealer in NH around 2007 who since moved to SC.  All had Armory B engraving.  You can look up todays retail for the guns with the options and see that they are significantly overpriced.  I don't think very many people will need one at that price but it only takes one according to PT Barnum.

These are not those guns. Check out Gunbroker. Few if any of the 17 or so guns I am talking about are engraved. They are all from the same seller in South Carolina.

Offline mtone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
I guess I was only looking at his engraved guns.   An engraved FT for $4,995 and a non engraved 22 FT for $7,995.  He also has a USFA 45 (no pic) at $1695.  $200 too much even for a Pre War.  $3,995 for a SA with walnut.  His prices defy common sense.  This may be a new marketing gimmick.  My statement regarding PT Barnum stands.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
Does not exactly make you feel all warm and fuzzy buying a gun from such sellers, does it ?

Offline pawneefork

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:44:26 PM »
I saw that too, and I have a theory:  he's in bankruptcy, or the IRS is hassling him, and he's been told to liquidate his collection.  He posts opening bids no one will touch, then says he tried but they didn't sell.

Or, he's just a greedy SOB, in which case he's in good company.  I think the mega-rich got tired of buying gold bullion and started sucking up vintage guns.  ::)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
I went so far as to complain to Gunbroker about ridiculously priced guns, that are listed and re-listed and are basically just cluttering up the category making new legitimate listings harder to find. Their reply was that sellers can put any price they want on something and GB can't do anything about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com